Galaxy SL I9003 Gets Jelly Bean Features with Frankenstain Firmware [How to Install]
By Vinod Yalburgi | November 21, 2012 10:40 PM EST
It is no secret the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 will not receive an official Jelly bean update from the South Korean manufacturers. The good news, though, is custom ROM developers have worked to create a full-featured Jelly-Bean-like firmware update, with The Frankenstain ROM. The new custom ROM is reportedly based on Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware with a host of advanced features that are drawn from the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system.
Complete List of Features for Frankenstain Firmware
- Based on LF2
- First install you see stock theme, if you need Sense style, install
- Full deodex
- Swipe to remove Notifications
- Extended Power Menu
- Disabled scroll cache
- SMS App Restrictions Removed
- Touch optimized
- 14 Status Bar Toggles
- Wallpapers from Jelly Bean
- Default kernel Vurrut V9.1
The Frankenstain ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible only with the international version of the Galaxy SL I9003. IBTimes UK warns readers the instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only and will not cover warranty claims for device damage or issues arising out of using the Frankenstain firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Users are advised to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the Frankenstain ROM
NOTE: Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing the custom ROM on it, as this is not an official release. Use of ROM Manager for data backup is not advisable, as it may brick your device. Only manual data backup is recommended while installing custom ROMs.
- Download Root Checker app from Google Play Store to ascertain if your device is rooted. Ensure your phone is rooted with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed before proceeding with the ROM installation procedure
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development and check the USB debugging option
- Verify phone battery has at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the Frankenstain ROM
How to Update Galaxy SL I9003 with Frankenstain Firmware
- Download the Frankenstain Firmware Package to the computer. After the firmware is downloaded, connect the device to your computer with original USB cable. Then, copy ROM zip file to root folder on your phone's SD card.
- Disconnect device from computer and power off your phone so that it can boot into Recovery Mode. Download the ROM Manager app from Google Play Store and select Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery option. Once done, click Reboot Into Recovery Mode, so the device enters Recovery mode
- Alternatively, your Galaxy SL I9003 can be put into Recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up button and the Home button. Then simultaneusly hit Power button for powering the device in recovery mode
- Now, in Recovery, choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache partition. Then click Advanced and wipe Dalvik cache, so all cache data is clean. Once it's done, click Install Zip from SD Card and choose the Frankenstain Firmware Zip Package copied in the first step.
- The installation of the firmware update will take about four to five minutes to complete and once it's done, you will see the language selection screen. Then, just follow on-screen instructions to boot into the Home screen. You can verify if firmware update was successful by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
Note: In case the device fails to boot up or show Home screen, then remove the battery and reinsert it to boot the device in the normal mode.
Frankenstain ROM is now successfully installed on your Galaxy SL I9003. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Advices]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family