David Beckham Transfer Rumours: Beckham Could Strike £12-Million Deal After Leaving LA Galaxy
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 10:05 PM EST
Most footballers of his age have hung up their boots but former England captain David Beckham is still giving youngsters a run for their money; in fact, he could become football's highest paid player if the latest reports are to be believed.
The 37-year-old former England captain has announced that he would leave the LA Galaxy in ten days' time, sparking off rumours that he could become the highest paid player with clubs reportedly willing to sign him for £12million.
It is reported that big clubs like Melbourne Hearts (Australia), Adelaide United (Australia), New York Cosmos (America), Shanghai Shenhua (China), Paris Saint-Germain (France), Botafogo (Brazil) and Kaizer Chiefs (South Africa) are eager to rope in David Beckham. Another report has it that Shanghai Shenhua is willing to pay more than £350,000 a week to the former England captain.
"It doesn't matter he isn't the greatest player any more. He makes clubs great in terms of sponsorship. A club could pay him £500,000 a week and it would still be worth it," The Sun quoted a source as saying. It added that Beckham could make least £12million from a new deal.
Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o, 31, is currently the highest paid player with Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala paying him £345,000 a week.
David Beckham had earlier this signed a two-year deal with LA Galaxy but he has the option to leave the club after one year. He has announced his decision to quit the American club but has ruled out retirement.
"I still feel I have something left in me as a player," Beckham told reporters on Tuesday. "I still feel like I have one more challenge in me as a player, even at 37 years old. I feel I still can play at a high level. Where that will be yet, I haven't decided. I have some exciting opportunities on the table but right now my focus is on the final. Once that's out of the way, we have a tour to deal with and then it's Christmas, which we always spend in London. I will make a decision then."
(With Inputs from Reuters)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October