David Beckham Transfer Rumours: Beckham Could Strike £12-Million Deal After Leaving LA Galaxy
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 10:05 PM EST
Most footballers of his age have hung up their boots but former England captain David Beckham is still giving youngsters a run for their money; in fact, he could become football's highest paid player if the latest reports are to be believed.
The 37-year-old former England captain has announced that he would leave the LA Galaxy in ten days' time, sparking off rumours that he could become the highest paid player with clubs reportedly willing to sign him for £12million.
It is reported that big clubs like Melbourne Hearts (Australia), Adelaide United (Australia), New York Cosmos (America), Shanghai Shenhua (China), Paris Saint-Germain (France), Botafogo (Brazil) and Kaizer Chiefs (South Africa) are eager to rope in David Beckham. Another report has it that Shanghai Shenhua is willing to pay more than £350,000 a week to the former England captain.
"It doesn't matter he isn't the greatest player any more. He makes clubs great in terms of sponsorship. A club could pay him £500,000 a week and it would still be worth it," The Sun quoted a source as saying. It added that Beckham could make least £12million from a new deal.
Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o, 31, is currently the highest paid player with Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala paying him £345,000 a week.
David Beckham had earlier this signed a two-year deal with LA Galaxy but he has the option to leave the club after one year. He has announced his decision to quit the American club but has ruled out retirement.
"I still feel I have something left in me as a player," Beckham told reporters on Tuesday. "I still feel like I have one more challenge in me as a player, even at 37 years old. I feel I still can play at a high level. Where that will be yet, I haven't decided. I have some exciting opportunities on the table but right now my focus is on the final. Once that's out of the way, we have a tour to deal with and then it's Christmas, which we always spend in London. I will make a decision then."
(With Inputs from Reuters)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28