Indian Stocks Advance; Nifty Hits 5,600 Level
By B Times Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 8:13 PM EST
Indian stock markets advanced Wednesday, led by gains from realty and consumer durables sectors.
The 30-share BSE Sensex gained 0.70 percent or 127.97 points to 18458.85 and the 50 share NSE Nifty advanced 0.67 percent or 37.45 points to 5609.60.
Markets opened on a firm note, tracking the positive cues from Asian peers. However, markets pared earlier gains after euro zone finance ministers failed to clinch a deal that would unblock the next tranche of financial aid to debt-laden Greece. Concerns about the US 'fiscal cliff' also revived after the Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke warned that a failure to avert the potential fiscal crisis could push the country into recession.
Meanwhile, investors also opted for caution as the Indian government aims to pass bills opening up the insurance and pension sectors to foreign investors in a parliament session that starts Thursday.
"Investors are a bit cautious ahead of the winter session of parliament to open Thursday, as they are waiting for positive triggers to emerge from the government's efforts toward reforms for higher economic growth," Harish Vasudevan, strategist at SVS Securities, told the Wall Street Journal.
Among the sectoral indices, Realty and Consumer durables sectors surged 2.22 percent and 1.55 percent respectively. D B Realty Ltd. climbed 7.48 percent and Unitech Ltd. surged 3.52 percent.
Software firms advanced as the rupee declined to a more than two-month low against the U.S. dollar. Tech Mahindra gained 1.68 percent and Infosys advanced 1.13 percent while TCS rose 0.5 percent.
Shares of Bharti Airtel declined 1.41 percent on profit booking. The company stock surged nearly 15 percent so far in November. The overall market breadth was positive with 1382 advanced against 1302 declines.
The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.41 percent to 6575.57 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.41 percent to 7017.03. CNX midcap Index gained 0.53 percent and CNX IT rose 0.88 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell