Ajmal Kasab Hanged: Victims’ Families Thank Pranab Mukherjee
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 6:11 PM EST
Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist from the 2008 Mumbai terror attack that killed 166 people, was hanged to death on Wednesday morning at Pune's Yerwada central prison after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his clemency plea on Nov. 5.
Hours after the announcement of Kasab's execution, reactions from victims' families poured in.
Eknath Omble, the brother of assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Tukaram Omble who was killed in the terror attack and was responsible for the capture of Kasab, thanked the President for rejecting Kasab's mercy plea. He also said that terrorists like Kasab should have been hanged in public to deliver justice to the victims's families.
"My family is happy. Through you I had appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee. I am glad that today the President and the Home minister took the right decision. A terrorist like Kasab should have been hanged in public," Eknath said, according to IBN.
Smita Salaskar, wife of Senior Police Inspector and encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar who was killed in the attack, also welcomed Kasab's execution.
"Though the execution was delayed, Kasab was finally hanged. With this hanging, homage has been paid to my husband. But the real homage will be the conviction of other accused shielded in Pakistan," Smita said, according to PTI.
K. Unnikrishnan, the father of NSG commando Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan who was killed while fighting terrorists in the attack, also expressed his happiness over the execution.
"Our aim should be to bring to book the perpetrators of 26/11. Kasab was a soft target. This is not a closure; we need to be more alert. I think it is done in a better way. If guilt is proven then the person should be punished. Terrorism is a bad thing for the society," he told CNN-IBN.
Ragini Sharma, wife of S.K. Sharma who was killed in the 26/11 attack, said she is happy that the execution was conducted in secrecy.
"I would like to thank the President. However, it got delayed but we did get justice. I am happy that it (the hanging) was done secretly, otherwise some human rights people would have opposed it," she said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar