Fiona Apple Cancels South American Tour to be with Dying Dog
By camille banzon | November 21, 2012 5:15 PM EST
Singer, Fiona Apple, wrote a letter for her fans in South America, revealing a very personal reason why she won't be able to push through with an upcoming tour.
The alternative singer, who maintains a solid fan base all over the world since her break-out in the 90's, posted scanned photos of a letter she has handwritten for fans in South America in her Facebook page. She stated that her pitbull, Janet, is suffering from a worsening condition and that she felt it wouldn't be right to be away from her dog at the moment.
In the heart-wrenching letter, the singer tells how close she has become to this dog, and since Janet was diagnosed with Addison's disease, she has been showing signs of weakness.
"Janet has been the most consistent relationship of my adult life, and that is just a fact. We've lived in numerous houses, and jumped a few make shift families, but it's always really been the two of us." writes the singer.
"She slept in bed with me, her head on the pillow, and she accepted my hysterical, tearful face into her chest, with her paws around me, every time I was heartbroken, or spirit-broken, or just lost, and as years went by, she let me take the role of her child, as I fell asleep, with her chin resting above my head." she continues.
Fiona, who has a special relationship with her fans because of her intensely painful and relatable songwriting, first became a hit after the release of her 1996 record, 'Tidal.' Her deep voice, skillful playing of the piano, and songs that appeal to "outsiders" made her an instant icon. Her latest record, 'The Idler Wheel...' is raved by top critics and declared as a powerful comeback album.
"I just can't leave her now, please understand. If I go away again, I'm afraid she'll die and I won't have the honor of singing her to sleep, of escorting her out."
"Because it will be the most beautiful, the most intense, the most enriching experience of life I've ever known.
When she dies.
So I am staying home, and I am listening to her snore and wheeze, and reveling in the swampiest, most awful breath that ever emanated from an angel.
And I am asking for your blessing." beautifully said Fiona her heart-tugging note.
Fiona is supposed to kick-start her South American tour on Nov. 27 in Porto Alegre, Brazil before moving on to Argentina and Mexico. Fans will have to wait a little longer and pray for this trying part of the singer's life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Trailer Reveals Sith Plus John Boyega And Daisy Ridley’s Characters And Much More—Reports
- Cameron Diaz, Benji Madden Engaged – Reports
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Winner: Eliminated Contestants Predict Who Could Win It All
- Prince Harry Enjoys Three-Day Visit To Oman, Picks Up Present For Prince George And Performs With Traditional Sword Dancers
- Channing Tatum-Jenna Dewan Tatum Split: Channing Disregards Amber Heard Link-Up Reports, Says Wife 'Puts Everything in Perspective'
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports