Mashable Reports Sluggish Sales for Microsoft’s Windows 8
By Erik Pineda | November 21, 2012 4:48 PM EST
Global sales of Microsoft's new operating system, Windows 8, has been slow at best but devices running the cross-platform OS were moving in a much better pace, tech blog site Mashable reported this week.
The report dampened earlier claims by Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer that the new product he is pushing hard for the whole world to discover, backed by a marketing war-chest of around $US1.5 billion, has reached download counts of four million in its first 96 hours of availability.
The feverish push, it seemed, for the redesigned Microsoft core offering failed to draw the anticipated attention, if the Mashable report was to be believed, despite the rallying of celebrated names behind the product.
Popular talk show host Oprah Winfrey, hip-hop superstar Jay-Z and movie actress Jessica Alba were among the global luminaries that lend their star-appeal for the OS that Microsoft dubbed on one of its numerous commercial campaigns as 'Everything at Once'.
Citing a blog post penned by Paul Thurrott, Mashable said on Monday that Windows 8 "isn't selling as well as Microsoft thought it would ... the new OS isn't even meeting lowered expectations."
The assessment, Mr Thurrott claimed, was reportedly provided by an unnamed but 'trusted Microsoft insider' and was pegged with data on earlier major tech product debuts.
Reasons reportedly discussed by Microsoft officials for Windows 8's poor sales performance so far were the inability by the tech giant's partner PC vendors to deliver as per the specifications strictly set by Microsoft for hardwares to be paired with the OS.
This, Mashable said, led to confusion on customers' part and likely slowed down the product's movement.
It was also believed that the recent Microsoft leadership shakeup, which saw the immediate exit of Windows chief Steven Sinofsky, hampered what should have been expected as brisk sales for Windows 8, Mr Thurrott wrote in his blog.
Another indication of Windows 8's not-so-good sales to date was provided by SlashGear, which reported of "a huge demand for the product that never materialised," with the tech blog site quoting Newegg executive Merle McIntosh.
However, the same Newegg official also informed SlashGear that sales of Windows 8-affililiated products - hardwares and softwares - were "steadily improving."
Mixed reviews have so far greeted Windows 8 as experts branded the OS as initially confusing owing to its radically overhauled interface but potent enough to support both mobility and productivity.
In particular, Microsoft's Surface tablet, which runs on another version of Windows 8 - Windows RT, has been getting positive feedbacks, with one review hailing the slate as the best productivity tablet to come out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock EPS Raised to $7.67 Per Share; Apple Pay Could Be Promising in Australia
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date