Mashable Reports Sluggish Sales for Microsoft’s Windows 8
By Erik Pineda | November 21, 2012 4:48 PM EST
Global sales of Microsoft's new operating system, Windows 8, has been slow at best but devices running the cross-platform OS were moving in a much better pace, tech blog site Mashable reported this week.
The report dampened earlier claims by Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer that the new product he is pushing hard for the whole world to discover, backed by a marketing war-chest of around $US1.5 billion, has reached download counts of four million in its first 96 hours of availability.
The feverish push, it seemed, for the redesigned Microsoft core offering failed to draw the anticipated attention, if the Mashable report was to be believed, despite the rallying of celebrated names behind the product.
Popular talk show host Oprah Winfrey, hip-hop superstar Jay-Z and movie actress Jessica Alba were among the global luminaries that lend their star-appeal for the OS that Microsoft dubbed on one of its numerous commercial campaigns as 'Everything at Once'.
Citing a blog post penned by Paul Thurrott, Mashable said on Monday that Windows 8 "isn't selling as well as Microsoft thought it would ... the new OS isn't even meeting lowered expectations."
The assessment, Mr Thurrott claimed, was reportedly provided by an unnamed but 'trusted Microsoft insider' and was pegged with data on earlier major tech product debuts.
Reasons reportedly discussed by Microsoft officials for Windows 8's poor sales performance so far were the inability by the tech giant's partner PC vendors to deliver as per the specifications strictly set by Microsoft for hardwares to be paired with the OS.
This, Mashable said, led to confusion on customers' part and likely slowed down the product's movement.
It was also believed that the recent Microsoft leadership shakeup, which saw the immediate exit of Windows chief Steven Sinofsky, hampered what should have been expected as brisk sales for Windows 8, Mr Thurrott wrote in his blog.
Another indication of Windows 8's not-so-good sales to date was provided by SlashGear, which reported of "a huge demand for the product that never materialised," with the tech blog site quoting Newegg executive Merle McIntosh.
However, the same Newegg official also informed SlashGear that sales of Windows 8-affililiated products - hardwares and softwares - were "steadily improving."
Mixed reviews have so far greeted Windows 8 as experts branded the OS as initially confusing owing to its radically overhauled interface but potent enough to support both mobility and productivity.
In particular, Microsoft's Surface tablet, which runs on another version of Windows 8 - Windows RT, has been getting positive feedbacks, with one review hailing the slate as the best productivity tablet to come out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- MH17: ‘Trademark Trolls’ Make Profit Out of the Tragedy
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports