India Executes Mumbai Attacker Ajmal Kasab [VIDEO]
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 21, 2012 4:40 PM EST
Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the only surviving gunman in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, has been executed in secret in the Indian state of Maharashtra.
The Pakistani national was hanged in Pune's high-security Yerawada prison, marking the end of a long-fought legal battle.
Kasab's death sentence was confirmed by India's Supreme Court in August, and his mercy plea was rejected by Indian President Pranab Mukherjee earlier this month, paving way for the first use of capital punishment in India since 2004.
India's home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said that the government wanted to maintain confidentiality over the issue as the case remains sensitive.
"We kept secrecy. It was important to maintain secrecy in this matter," said Shinde.
"Pakistan has been informed about Kasab's hanging. We would have considered Pakistan's request for his body. However, there is no demand for Kasab's body yet. The President rejected Kasab's mercy petition on November 5. I had further forwarded it to the Maharashtra government on November 8".
The minister added that Kasab's body would be buried in India.
The swift operation, organised within a short period of time, has surprised many people, although the government was under tremendous pressure to take strong action against Kasab.
At least 166 people, the majority of them civilians, were killed by gunmen who unleashed attacks on multiple targets across Mumbai on 26 November 2008.
"The punishment to Kasab is a true tribute to the victims and martyrs of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks," said Maharashtra's Home Minister R R Patil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Italian Appeals Court Overturns 2013 Sex with Underage Prostitute Conviction Against Former PM Silvio Berlusconi
- New Zealand Pays Tribute to Kiwi MH17 Victims Amid World Clamor for Russian Cooperation
- New Senator Jacqui Lambie Heats Up Aussie Radio by Saying Potential Suitor Should Be Rich and Well-Hung
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia