'Anna Karenina' Front Runner for Oscars? Some Critics Do Not Think So [VIDEO]
By Kristin Dian Mariano | November 21, 2012 4:12 PM EST
"Anna Karenina" was often referred to as as "the greatest novel ever written," the film adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's classic period drama, "Anna Karenina," has a lot to live up to.
With a star-studded cast, as well as an Oscar-award-winning director and writer, the film is a front runner on the upcoming Academy Awards.
However, the film divided the critics and reviewers. Surprisingly, the film got a 65 percent rating from movie review website Rotten Tomatoes. Some critics bashed the film saying it is all style and no substance; while others disagree and thought that the film was brilliant.
"Anna Karenina" is the third collaboration of the Academy Award nominee Keira Knightley and highly acclaimed director Jon Wright, following the award-winning box office successes "Pride & Prejudice" and "Atonement." The book was adapted into a screenplay by Academy Award winner Tom Stoppard.
"Anna Karenina" tells the story of the tragedy of married aristocrat and socialite Anna Karenina and her affair with the affluent Count Vronsky. "The story powerfully explores the capacity for love that surges through the human heart. As Anna (Ms. Knightley) questions her happiness and marriage, change comes to all around her," says Focus Features.
"Anna Karenina" has the kind of enduring legacy in literature most only dream of. Legendary author Fyodor Dostoevsky declared it to be a "flawless as a work of art". Similarly, Russian writer Vladimir Nabokov loved the book, and especially admired "the flawless magic of Tolstoy's style."
"Anna Karenina" also stars Emily Watson, Jude Law, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Matthew Macfadyen, Olivia Williams, and Alicia Vikander. The film will be shown in Australian theaters on February next year.
Watch the trailer of the film adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's greatest novel below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS