Ajmal Kasab Hanged in Secrecy at Pune's Yerwada Jail
By ambrosia sabrina | November 21, 2012 3:10 PM EST
Lone terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, Ajmal Kasab, was hanged Wednesday at Pune's Yerwada jail, the Maharashtra Home Ministry said.
Maharashtra Home Minister R.R. Patil said the 25-year-old convict was hanged at 7:30 am. "I sincerely believe this is a tribute to all innocent people and the officers who lost their lives in the Mumbai attacks," he told NDTV.
On Monday, Kasab was transferred from Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai to Yerwada Jail for his execution. The hanging took place in utmost secrecy considering the sensitivity of his case. His body was buried on the premises of Yerwada jail.
"He was asked what his last wish was. He did not say anything," said Patil.
According to ABP news service, Kasab placed a request to inform his mother Noorie of his death. A courier containing the information was dispatched to her.
Kasab's execution came five days before the fourth anniversary of the 2008 blasts. He was among the ten Pakistani terrorists who launched multiple attacks across Mumbai on Nov 26, 2008. Around 166 people were killed in the terror siege. While all the other gunmen perished in the police firing, Kasab was captured alive.
Following his arrest in 2008, the Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist was locked in a high-security cell in Arthur Road jail. In May 2010, a special trial court handed him the death penalty, which was upheld by the Mumbai High Court. Kasab challenged the order with the Supreme Court, saying he was not given a fair trial. His appeal was rejected in August on the grounds of raging war against the nation and treason.
After losing his battle in the apex court, Kasab presented a mercy appeal before President Pranab Mukherjee in September. Following a recommendation from the Home Ministry, Pranab rejected his petition.
Several reactions poured in after the announcement of his death. BJP Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naq said, "Whatever has happened could have happened earlier, but better late than never. It is a lesson to those powers who are spreading terrorist activities all over the world," Reuters reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown