San Francisco Approves Public Nudity Ban
By Charles Poladian | November 21, 2012 2:18 PM EST
San Francisco's Board of Supervisors approved a ban on public nudity on a 6-5 vote Tuesday, the San Francisco Chronicle report.
The measure will require a second vote by the supervisors and the signature of Mayor Edwin M. Lee to into effect. It could become law by Feb. 1, 2013.
The public nudity ban, which was proposed by Supervisor Scott Wiener, stirred up quite the debate before the vote, reports the Los Angeles Times. Wiener claimed support from the gay community, noting that many nudists congregate in the Castro District, according to the San Jose Mercury News. Wiener said his constituents wanted the laws already requiring clothing establishments such as restaurants and for using public seating enforced. Parades and festivals will be exempt.
Other supervisors dismissed the need for a public nudity ban. Christina Olague, who voted against the ordinance, called it a “solution in search of a problem,” reports Los Angeles Times.
According to The New York Times, several nearby California cities, including Berkeley and San Jose, also have banned public nudity. A nudist group, known as the Naked Guys, plan on fighting the ban, saying it infringes on their freedom of speech because their nudity is not in a lewd or sexual manner and, therefore, should be legal.
Several protesters in City Hall did strip down after the vote, but police quickly covered them up, reports The New York Times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide