Firefighters Contains Bushfire in Port Lincoln South Australia
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 21, 2012 2:01 PM EST
Better weather conditions aided the dedicated firefighters in controlling the bushfire that endangered homes at Port Lincoln on Eyre Peninsula in South Australia. According to Connie Hassouros, Country Fire Service spokesman, about 120 firefighters have already set up a control line around the bushfire's border overnight.
The fire that started Tuesday morning moved towards six kilometers of Port Lincoln which eventually led to evacuations. The Country Fire Service (CFS) claimed that it may take days to completely extinguish the bushfire hot spots near Port Lincoln.
CFS Regional Commander Kevin May confirmed there were five water bomber aircrafts that dealt with the fire in the area. However, the major challenge was the wind speed that kept the smoke near the grounds and this made the firefighters put on extra effort. The fire on the western borders of Port Lincoln remains the biggest threat. The wind currently moves from the south-west and will swing south-east and the maximum temperature in the area is forecast to be in the low 20s by the afternoon.
Approximately 180 firefighters were involved in the attempts of putting out the blaze throughout the night. The bushfire has reportedly burnt roughly 1,700 hectares of scrub at Mungerowie Scrub, west of Port Lincoln. After an extensive night of hard work, a few firefighters finally got a break but around 120 more came to continue dealing with the fire in west Port Lincoln. They are also monitoring and establishing control lines around the fire's perimeter.
"There's large material out there, stumps and logs and things that are burning above the ground or on the ground, and when the day warms up they can set fire to unburnt fuel in the adjacent area and then you have another fire, so it's really just that large material burning within the fire ground that we need to secure," CFS Incident Controller Ian Tanner said.
South Australian CFS official Malim Watts stated there is another concern regarding the forecast warmer weather for the second time by the weekend. "Not only have we got to monitor the fires that we've got around the place but there might be a number of what we term 'sleepers' which are lightning strikes that have occurred but are not yet visible. So with the warmer temperatures and maybe an increase in wind we may end up with some more fires over the weekend, but we'll have to wait and see," Watts said.
Thought there were no reports of property damages, a number of residents have already left their homes as a safety measure. Malim Watts also confirmed that properties are no longer in danger.
Take a look at the video of the Port Lincoln fire below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display