Queensland Approves $1.4-B Resort Tourism Project
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 21, 2012 12:38 PM EST
The state of Queensland has given a conditional stamp of approval to a proposed $1.4 billion resort tourism and residential development project at Ella Bay near Innisfail, south of Cairns.
Worth A$1.4 billion and spread over a former 450 hectare cattle property, the project consists of three resort precincts, four residential precincts, a retail village, an 18-hole golf course as well as a cassowary research and education centre.
"A project of this magnitude, catering for tourists as well as permanent residents, will be a wonderful economic boost for the community, both locally and further afield," Queensland Premier Campbell Newman said in a statement.
The project is expected to contribute A$256 million annually in tourism and A$50 million in State Government taxes and duties.
Approved but subject to 38 conditions, the approval recommendation has been sent to the Federal Minister for Environment Tony Burke for his consideration.
The project expects to provide jobs to 400 people over a 15-year construction period. Once completed, 800 full-time operational jobs as well as 240 part-time peak-season jobs may be expected.
Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney hoped it would get the Federal Government's nod, since the state and federal governments had adopted a bilateral approval process.
"The difference here is that it is only an hour-and-a-half from Cairns International Airport - I stress - an international airport," Mr Newman said.
"It's obviously got some very unique features of its own in terms of the great surroundings of the thing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup