S.Korea needs to scrutinise won volatility- finance min
November 21, 2012 11:42 AM EST
South Korea needs to scrutinise the won's recent volatility and will take action to stabilise the exchange rate if necessary, Finance Minister Bahk Jae-wan said on Wednesday, the latest warning against the currency's sharp rise.
"The government will closely monitor domestic and international financial market conditions and take appropriate measures should conditions warrant a response," Bahk said at a weekly policy meeting.
Bahk's comments contrast with the views of Vice Finance Minister Shin Je-yoon who said on Tuesday he did not believe current market conditions demanded new regulations to reduce the risks from rapid foreign capital inflows.
At the end of Tuesday's onshore trading, the local currency was up 0.9 percent against the dollar for the week. Currency dealers suspect that the Korean foreign-exchange authorities have been intervening to slow the won's appreciation.
The Bank of Korea and the Financial Supervisory Service are also conducting a joint inspection of foreign exchange trading at banks operating in the country.
Analysts say the authorities' foreign-exchange trading inspection was aimed at trying to slow the local currency's appreciation. The checks do not occur on a set schedule but rather when the regulators see a need to show a heightened level of surveillance, they noted.
Though the authorities denied that any change in regulatory policy was imminent, some analysts and foreign-exchange market participants believe the authorities may lower the caps on banks' currency derivative positions to undercut speculation on the won.
(Reporting by Lee Shin-hyung and Se Young Lee; Editing by Eric Meijer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown