Facebook director Andreessen sells $54 million in shares to cover taxes
By Alexei Oreskovic | November 21, 2012 11:21 AM EST
Facebook Inc board member Marc Andreessen sold roughly $54 million worth of shares in the social networking company on Monday to cover taxes he owes on his holdings.
Andreessen's sales are among the latest transactions by Facebook insiders as trading restrictions have expired following the company's May initial public offering.
Donald Graham, chairman and CEO of the Washington Post Co, who is a director at Facebook, sold roughly $6.7 million worth of Facebook shares on Monday, according to a regulatory filing on Tuesday.
Both Andreessen and Graham are selling shares to cover tax obligations incurred from the recent vesting or settlement of restricted stock units in the company, Facebook noted in a separate filing earlier this year. Neither intends to sell shares for any other reason, the filing said.
The world's No.1 online social network became the only U.S. company to debut with a market value of more than $100 billion, but has faced a rough reception on Wall Street amid concerns about its long-term money-making potential.
Shares of the company have risen 20 percent since November 9, finishing Tuesday's regular session at $23.10, but remain well below their $38 offering price.
Several executives at the company have also sold shares as the so-called lock-up restrictions on trading have expired.
Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg sold roughly $4.2 million worth of Facebook stock on Monday, bringing her total share sales to roughly $15 million in recent weeks, while engineering vice president Michael Schroepfer sold a little more than $1 million worth of shares in recent days.
Andreessen, Graham, Sandberg and Schroepfer all sold their shares as part of pre-arranged stock trading plans.
(Reporting By Alexei Oreskovic; Editing by Bernard Orr)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'