Salesforce.com 3Q Earnings, Revenue Beat Estimates
By David Zielenziger | November 21, 2012 8:44 AM EST
Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), the customer-relationship management software developer, reported stronger than expected third-quarter results and made bullish predictions for the current quarter.
The San Francisco-based company reported operating earnings of 33 cents a share, a penny ahead of estimates, as revenue rose 35 percent to $788 million, about $12 million above analyst predictions.
CEO Marc Benioff cited “strong customer response to our next-generation social and mobile cloud technologies. Going forward, fourth-quarter operating earnings are expected to rise to 38 cents to 40 cents a share on revenue of $825 million to $830 million, 31 percent above prior-year results.
Salesforce.com competes against larger vendors including Oracle Corp. (Nasdaq: ORCL) and SAP (NYSE: SAP).
Salesforce.com took various charges, including a one-time $149 million charge for a tax valuation allowance. On a net basis, the company reported its loss widened to $220.3 million, or $1.55 a share, from $3.8 million, or 3 cents, a year earlier.
Shares of Salesforce.com were flat in after-hours Tuesday trading. They closed at $145.90, down $1.42 in regular trading. They've gained 44 percent in 2012.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Players Can Get The Free Character Boost Now And Still Upgrade To The Collector's Edition On Nov. 13, 2014, Plus The Horde Chopper Mount Will Only Be Available Until Sept. 30, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]