Is ‘Insidious 2’ Merely A Ploy For Big Box Office?
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 21, 2012 7:06 AM EST
New details have emerged regarding the follow-up to James Wan’s hit 2011 horror film “Insidious.” According to Cinema Blend, “Insidious: Chapter 2” will hit theaters on Aug. 30, 2013. Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne and Haley Bennett, who all appeared in the original film, will reprise their roles for the sequel. “Insidious” screenwriter Leigh Whannell will also be returning.
Screen Rant reports that the film is set to begin production in January 2013.
Made for a modest $1.5 million, “Insidious” became on of the most profitable films of the year last year after it earned an impressive $97 million at the box office. The film follows a couple determined to rescue their son after he becomes trapped in a satanic alternate dimension.
Since the film ends with a cliff-hanger, reports of a sequel have been surfacing for some time. Yet it may be argued that the sequel, which seems to have been green-lighted relatively quickly, is merely an attempt to capitalize on the success of the original during summer the blockbuster season.
According to the film’s producer James Blum, that’s not the case. In May 2011, Blum told Shock Til You Drop that no official plans for a sequel were in place and that the film would only move forward if the right story were developed.
“I wouldn’t say we’re not considering it. There’s no plan, no release date, nothing like that. I think James [Wan] feels the same as Oren [Peli]. Oren was very skeptical about doing a sequel to ‘Paranormal Activity’ until Michael [Perry] pitched an idea and it made sense. If Leigh [Whannell] comes up with a story that’s inventive and you feel like there’s a story to tell -- as opposed to ‘let’s make another movie and make money’ -- and he comes up with something James feels is worth making, we would do it. And if Leigh doesn’t, we won’t.”
Based on the relatively impressive box office take from recent low-budget horror films such as “The Possession” and “Sinister," it’s safe to predict that “Insidious: Chapter 2” will at least be a modest hit.
The film will hit theaters a month after the release of Wan’s eerie supernatural flick “The Conjuring.” Set in the 1970s, the film tells the true story of a family forced to consult a pair of paranormal investigators after they discover that their home is inhabited by evil spirits. Wilson appears in the film along with Ron Livingston, Vera Farmiga and Lili Taylor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch