Is ‘Insidious 2’ Merely A Ploy For Big Box Office?
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 21, 2012 7:06 AM EST
New details have emerged regarding the follow-up to James Wan’s hit 2011 horror film “Insidious.” According to Cinema Blend, “Insidious: Chapter 2” will hit theaters on Aug. 30, 2013. Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne and Haley Bennett, who all appeared in the original film, will reprise their roles for the sequel. “Insidious” screenwriter Leigh Whannell will also be returning.
Screen Rant reports that the film is set to begin production in January 2013.
Made for a modest $1.5 million, “Insidious” became on of the most profitable films of the year last year after it earned an impressive $97 million at the box office. The film follows a couple determined to rescue their son after he becomes trapped in a satanic alternate dimension.
Since the film ends with a cliff-hanger, reports of a sequel have been surfacing for some time. Yet it may be argued that the sequel, which seems to have been green-lighted relatively quickly, is merely an attempt to capitalize on the success of the original during summer the blockbuster season.
According to the film’s producer James Blum, that’s not the case. In May 2011, Blum told Shock Til You Drop that no official plans for a sequel were in place and that the film would only move forward if the right story were developed.
“I wouldn’t say we’re not considering it. There’s no plan, no release date, nothing like that. I think James [Wan] feels the same as Oren [Peli]. Oren was very skeptical about doing a sequel to ‘Paranormal Activity’ until Michael [Perry] pitched an idea and it made sense. If Leigh [Whannell] comes up with a story that’s inventive and you feel like there’s a story to tell -- as opposed to ‘let’s make another movie and make money’ -- and he comes up with something James feels is worth making, we would do it. And if Leigh doesn’t, we won’t.”
Based on the relatively impressive box office take from recent low-budget horror films such as “The Possession” and “Sinister," it’s safe to predict that “Insidious: Chapter 2” will at least be a modest hit.
The film will hit theaters a month after the release of Wan’s eerie supernatural flick “The Conjuring.” Set in the 1970s, the film tells the true story of a family forced to consult a pair of paranormal investigators after they discover that their home is inhabited by evil spirits. Wilson appears in the film along with Ron Livingston, Vera Farmiga and Lili Taylor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nude Photo Leak: Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens, Hope Solo Latest Victims Of Hacking Attack, Twitter Explodes With Reactions 'Not' In Support Of Kardashian -- Reports
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?