VIDEO Barcelona 3-0 Spartak Moscow: Highlights; Messi Brace Helps Barca Clinch Champions League Progress
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 6:55 AM EST
Barcelona ensured qualification for the Champions League knockout phase with a 3-0 victory over Spartak Moscow at the Luzhniki Stadium. Dani Alves opened the scoring in the 16th minute, before two goals from Lionel Messi wrapped up the win before half-time.
Having fallen to defeat against Celtic two weeks ago, Tito Vilanova’s side secured their progress at the second time of asking.
Barcelona sit atop Group G on 12 points, while Spartak’s hopes of qualification have been ended as they remain in bottom spot. The Russian’s can now only hope to overhaul Benfica to claim a Europa League place.
Spartak, managed by former Valencia boss Unai Emery, were hampered by a string of injuries going into the game and fell behind early. Some slack defending by the home side saw them fail to clear on the edge of their own box before the ball bounced out to Dani Alves, who drilled a low shot into the corner.
The second goal arrived in the 27th minute. Andres Iniesta was released down the inside left channel before cutting back on his right foot but saw his shot parried by veteran reserve goalkeeper Andriy Dykan before Messi slotted home the rebound.
And Messi scored his 80th goal of the calendar year in the 39th minute to leave him just five behind German great Gerd Muller’s record. Pedro released Messi with a through ball down the middle and the Argentinian took the ball around the goalkeeper before sliding the ball into the empty net.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?