VIDEO Barcelona 3-0 Spartak Moscow: Highlights; Messi Brace Helps Barca Clinch Champions League Progress
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 6:55 AM EST
Barcelona ensured qualification for the Champions League knockout phase with a 3-0 victory over Spartak Moscow at the Luzhniki Stadium. Dani Alves opened the scoring in the 16th minute, before two goals from Lionel Messi wrapped up the win before half-time.
Having fallen to defeat against Celtic two weeks ago, Tito Vilanova’s side secured their progress at the second time of asking.
Barcelona sit atop Group G on 12 points, while Spartak’s hopes of qualification have been ended as they remain in bottom spot. The Russian’s can now only hope to overhaul Benfica to claim a Europa League place.
Spartak, managed by former Valencia boss Unai Emery, were hampered by a string of injuries going into the game and fell behind early. Some slack defending by the home side saw them fail to clear on the edge of their own box before the ball bounced out to Dani Alves, who drilled a low shot into the corner.
The second goal arrived in the 27th minute. Andres Iniesta was released down the inside left channel before cutting back on his right foot but saw his shot parried by veteran reserve goalkeeper Andriy Dykan before Messi slotted home the rebound.
And Messi scored his 80th goal of the calendar year in the 39th minute to leave him just five behind German great Gerd Muller’s record. Pedro released Messi with a through ball down the middle and the Argentinian took the ball around the goalkeeper before sliding the ball into the empty net.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide