VIDEO Barcelona 3-0 Spartak Moscow: Highlights; Messi Brace Helps Barca Clinch Champions League Progress
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 6:55 AM EST
Barcelona ensured qualification for the Champions League knockout phase with a 3-0 victory over Spartak Moscow at the Luzhniki Stadium. Dani Alves opened the scoring in the 16th minute, before two goals from Lionel Messi wrapped up the win before half-time.
Having fallen to defeat against Celtic two weeks ago, Tito Vilanova’s side secured their progress at the second time of asking.
Barcelona sit atop Group G on 12 points, while Spartak’s hopes of qualification have been ended as they remain in bottom spot. The Russian’s can now only hope to overhaul Benfica to claim a Europa League place.
Spartak, managed by former Valencia boss Unai Emery, were hampered by a string of injuries going into the game and fell behind early. Some slack defending by the home side saw them fail to clear on the edge of their own box before the ball bounced out to Dani Alves, who drilled a low shot into the corner.
The second goal arrived in the 27th minute. Andres Iniesta was released down the inside left channel before cutting back on his right foot but saw his shot parried by veteran reserve goalkeeper Andriy Dykan before Messi slotted home the rebound.
And Messi scored his 80th goal of the calendar year in the 39th minute to leave him just five behind German great Gerd Muller’s record. Pedro released Messi with a through ball down the middle and the Argentinian took the ball around the goalkeeper before sliding the ball into the empty net.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports