Plaxico Burress Signs With The Steelers
By Eli Epstein | November 21, 2012 6:47 AM EST
Things have been a bit retro of late for the Pittsburgh Steelers. First, they've been wearing their bumblebee leatherneck-era throwback unis as if the equipment room lost the team's regular threads. Then, in order to deal with an endless slew of injuries at QB, the Steelers have been using the NFL version's of a time machine. They replaced injured star QB Ben Roethlisberger with Byron Leftwich, who hadn't started an NFL game since 2006.
When Leftwich was pummeled this past Sunday and broke two ribs, the Steel had to travel farther back in time to rediscover 37-year-old Charlie Batch, who it seems has been the team's backup quarterback since the Kordell Stewart days [kidding: Batch was clearly the backup in Detroit back then]. This Sunday against the Browns, Batch will make just his eighth start since 2002.
But the Steelers aren't done with their nostalgic recovery efforts. After Jerricho Crotchery also fractured multiple ribs (okay, this is almost endemic at this point), the team today brought back former star wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who was quite serviceable last year for the Jets, hauling in eight touchdowns, according to Sports Illustrated.
This year, Burress has struggled to catch on with an NFL team, and he's done everything but beg for a contract. In the past he went to prison for carrying a loaded gun into a New York nightclub. The gun accidentally discharged while in Burress' pants. More recently, Burress had a lien placed on his home and received a $1,000 fine for going over 100 mph on his motorcycle.
This offseason, NFL general managers questioned how much the 35-year-old receiver had left in the gas tank. With a dearth of quality arms and the fumbling Mike Wallace, Pittsburgh could use any weapon it can get its hands on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop