Get In On Spain's Real Estate Bonanza [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 5:39 AM EST
Spain is one of the European countries hit the hardest by the crisis, which has a very visible aspect in the conutry: unsold homes, vacant after a building bubble collapsed, leaving the real estate market in tatters. Now the government is prepared to offer residency permits to foreigners who purchase homes valued at €160,000 ($204,000) or more.
The details of the plan are still being discussed by the government, but will be finalized in the coming weeks. The length of the residency permits will be determined by then.
There are over 700,000 unsold homes since the real estate market collapsed in 2008, the Associated Press reported, many of them repossessed from families who could not afford their mortgage payments amid Spain's economic recession.
The plan aims to revive Spain's distressed construction sector, which has screeched to a halt due to the lack of new homebuyers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares