Get In On Spain's Real Estate Bonanza [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 5:39 AM EST
Spain is one of the European countries hit the hardest by the crisis, which has a very visible aspect in the conutry: unsold homes, vacant after a building bubble collapsed, leaving the real estate market in tatters. Now the government is prepared to offer residency permits to foreigners who purchase homes valued at €160,000 ($204,000) or more.
The details of the plan are still being discussed by the government, but will be finalized in the coming weeks. The length of the residency permits will be determined by then.
There are over 700,000 unsold homes since the real estate market collapsed in 2008, the Associated Press reported, many of them repossessed from families who could not afford their mortgage payments amid Spain's economic recession.
The plan aims to revive Spain's distressed construction sector, which has screeched to a halt due to the lack of new homebuyers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports