Get In On Spain's Real Estate Bonanza [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 5:39 AM EST
Spain is one of the European countries hit the hardest by the crisis, which has a very visible aspect in the conutry: unsold homes, vacant after a building bubble collapsed, leaving the real estate market in tatters. Now the government is prepared to offer residency permits to foreigners who purchase homes valued at €160,000 ($204,000) or more.
The details of the plan are still being discussed by the government, but will be finalized in the coming weeks. The length of the residency permits will be determined by then.
There are over 700,000 unsold homes since the real estate market collapsed in 2008, the Associated Press reported, many of them repossessed from families who could not afford their mortgage payments amid Spain's economic recession.
The plan aims to revive Spain's distressed construction sector, which has screeched to a halt due to the lack of new homebuyers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]