Wall Street falls as Bernanke's comments weigh
By Caroline Valetkevitch | November 21, 2012 6:00 AM EST
Stocks slid as Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke's comments added to worries about the economic impact of the U.S. "fiscal cliff" and Hewlett-Packard's stock sank on news of an $8.8 billion accounting charge.
Bernanke, in comments before the Economic Club of New York, said the Fed does not have the tools to offset the damage that would result if politicians fail to strike a deal to prevent going off the fiscal cliff. If a solution isn't approved in time, then mandatory tax increases and spending cuts will go into effect early next year. Bernanke said he does not believe the possible benefits of cutting the interest it pays on bank reserves are sufficient to outweigh the risk of trouble in money markets.
"In the short run, we're hostage to the fiscal cliff. I think (Bernanke's) got to be really, really fearful that Washington doesn't get its act together and that creates stresses on the financial system," said Dan Veru, chief investment officer of Palisade Capital Management in Fort Lee, New Jersey.
Stocks rallied for the last two sessions on optimism that Washington politicians could agree on a deal to avoid the U.S. fiscal cliff. But the gains followed two weeks of sharp losses.
Hewlett-Packard Co shares
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> was down 63.43 points, or 0.50 percent, at 12,732.53. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was down 5.78 points, or 0.42 percent, at 1,381.11. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was down 15.01 points, or 0.51 percent, at 2,901.06.
Another factor weighing on stocks was Moody's Investors Service's reduction of France's sovereign rating by one notch to Aa1 after the market's close on Monday. Moody's cited an uncertain fiscal outlook as a result of the weakening economy.
(Additional reporting by Chuck Mikolajczak Editing by Jan Paschal)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia