Stocks hit session lows after Bernanke
November 21, 2012 6:00 AM EST
Stocks declined on Tuesday as comments by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke added to worries about the impact of a U.S. "fiscal cliff" and as Hewlett-Packard's stock sank on news of an accounting charge.
Bernanke, in comments before the Economic Club of New York, said the Fed does not have the tools to offset the full harm of going off the "fiscal cliff."
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> was down 72.23 points, or 0.56 percent, at 12,723.73. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was down 6.98 points, or 0.50 percent, at 1,379.91. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was down 16.63 points, or 0.57 percent, at 2,899.44.
(Reporting By Edward Krudy; Editing by Kenneth Barry)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How