Stocks hit session lows after Bernanke
November 21, 2012 6:00 AM EST
Stocks declined on Tuesday as comments by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke added to worries about the impact of a U.S. "fiscal cliff" and as Hewlett-Packard's stock sank on news of an accounting charge.
Bernanke, in comments before the Economic Club of New York, said the Fed does not have the tools to offset the full harm of going off the "fiscal cliff."
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> was down 72.23 points, or 0.56 percent, at 12,723.73. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was down 6.98 points, or 0.50 percent, at 1,379.91. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was down 16.63 points, or 0.57 percent, at 2,899.44.
(Reporting By Edward Krudy; Editing by Kenneth Barry)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June