Two Fat Duck Chefs Killed in Massive Hong Kong Vehicle Pile-up
By Umberto Bacchi | November 21, 2012 5:27 AM EST
Two chefs from the famous three Michelin stars restaurant The Fat Duck, run by Heston Blumenthal, died in a multiple car crash in Hong Kong.
The restaurant confirmed the two were Ivan Aranto Herrera Jorge, 34, and Carl Magnus Lindgren, 30, respectively of British a Swedish nationality.
"We can confirm that two members of Heston Blumenthal's culinary team were tragically killed in a car accident in Hong Kong," a spokesperson for The Fat Duck said.
"They were both senior members and great and dear friends. Two uniquely talented young chefs that were loved by everyone who worked with them. They will be sadly and deeply missed," Blumenthal's restaurant added.
The taxi they were travelling was smashed in between a two buses, according to local press.
The cab driver, Wong Kim-chung, 53, also died in the incident, in which other 56 people were hurt.
A bus driver reportedly lost consciousness while driving. The bus went out of control, crashed a vehicle and then smashed in the opposite lane were it rammed the taxi on which the two chefs were travelling. The cab was pushed against another double-decker bus that was waiting at a traffic light.
It took more than three hours to firefighters to pull the victims out of the mangled wrecks, the Hong Kong Standard reported.
57-year-old bus driver Lau Chit was arrested by police for dangerous driving.
Reports that the two chefs were in Hong Kong to open a new restaurant, were dismissed by the restaurant that said they were there for a private event.
"My heart and my thoughts are with the families of the 2 young chefs from the Fat Duck & with Heston & the whole team at this tragic time," tweeted Raymond Blanc, chef and owner of Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons restaurant.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown