Two Fat Duck Chefs Killed in Massive Hong Kong Vehicle Pile-up
By Umberto Bacchi | November 21, 2012 5:27 AM EST
Two chefs from the famous three Michelin stars restaurant The Fat Duck, run by Heston Blumenthal, died in a multiple car crash in Hong Kong.
The restaurant confirmed the two were Ivan Aranto Herrera Jorge, 34, and Carl Magnus Lindgren, 30, respectively of British a Swedish nationality.
"We can confirm that two members of Heston Blumenthal's culinary team were tragically killed in a car accident in Hong Kong," a spokesperson for The Fat Duck said.
"They were both senior members and great and dear friends. Two uniquely talented young chefs that were loved by everyone who worked with them. They will be sadly and deeply missed," Blumenthal's restaurant added.
The taxi they were travelling was smashed in between a two buses, according to local press.
The cab driver, Wong Kim-chung, 53, also died in the incident, in which other 56 people were hurt.
A bus driver reportedly lost consciousness while driving. The bus went out of control, crashed a vehicle and then smashed in the opposite lane were it rammed the taxi on which the two chefs were travelling. The cab was pushed against another double-decker bus that was waiting at a traffic light.
It took more than three hours to firefighters to pull the victims out of the mangled wrecks, the Hong Kong Standard reported.
57-year-old bus driver Lau Chit was arrested by police for dangerous driving.
Reports that the two chefs were in Hong Kong to open a new restaurant, were dismissed by the restaurant that said they were there for a private event.
"My heart and my thoughts are with the families of the 2 young chefs from the Fat Duck & with Heston & the whole team at this tragic time," tweeted Raymond Blanc, chef and owner of Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons restaurant.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch