Two Fat Duck Chefs Killed in Massive Hong Kong Vehicle Pile-up
By Umberto Bacchi | November 21, 2012 5:27 AM EST
Two chefs from the famous three Michelin stars restaurant The Fat Duck, run by Heston Blumenthal, died in a multiple car crash in Hong Kong.
The restaurant confirmed the two were Ivan Aranto Herrera Jorge, 34, and Carl Magnus Lindgren, 30, respectively of British a Swedish nationality.
"We can confirm that two members of Heston Blumenthal's culinary team were tragically killed in a car accident in Hong Kong," a spokesperson for The Fat Duck said.
"They were both senior members and great and dear friends. Two uniquely talented young chefs that were loved by everyone who worked with them. They will be sadly and deeply missed," Blumenthal's restaurant added.
The taxi they were travelling was smashed in between a two buses, according to local press.
The cab driver, Wong Kim-chung, 53, also died in the incident, in which other 56 people were hurt.
A bus driver reportedly lost consciousness while driving. The bus went out of control, crashed a vehicle and then smashed in the opposite lane were it rammed the taxi on which the two chefs were travelling. The cab was pushed against another double-decker bus that was waiting at a traffic light.
It took more than three hours to firefighters to pull the victims out of the mangled wrecks, the Hong Kong Standard reported.
57-year-old bus driver Lau Chit was arrested by police for dangerous driving.
Reports that the two chefs were in Hong Kong to open a new restaurant, were dismissed by the restaurant that said they were there for a private event.
"My heart and my thoughts are with the families of the 2 young chefs from the Fat Duck & with Heston & the whole team at this tragic time," tweeted Raymond Blanc, chef and owner of Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons restaurant.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates