Two Fat Duck Chefs Killed in Massive Hong Kong Vehicle Pile-up
By Umberto Bacchi | November 21, 2012 5:27 AM EST
Two chefs from the famous three Michelin stars restaurant The Fat Duck, run by Heston Blumenthal, died in a multiple car crash in Hong Kong.
The restaurant confirmed the two were Ivan Aranto Herrera Jorge, 34, and Carl Magnus Lindgren, 30, respectively of British a Swedish nationality.
"We can confirm that two members of Heston Blumenthal's culinary team were tragically killed in a car accident in Hong Kong," a spokesperson for The Fat Duck said.
"They were both senior members and great and dear friends. Two uniquely talented young chefs that were loved by everyone who worked with them. They will be sadly and deeply missed," Blumenthal's restaurant added.
The taxi they were travelling was smashed in between a two buses, according to local press.
The cab driver, Wong Kim-chung, 53, also died in the incident, in which other 56 people were hurt.
A bus driver reportedly lost consciousness while driving. The bus went out of control, crashed a vehicle and then smashed in the opposite lane were it rammed the taxi on which the two chefs were travelling. The cab was pushed against another double-decker bus that was waiting at a traffic light.
It took more than three hours to firefighters to pull the victims out of the mangled wrecks, the Hong Kong Standard reported.
57-year-old bus driver Lau Chit was arrested by police for dangerous driving.
Reports that the two chefs were in Hong Kong to open a new restaurant, were dismissed by the restaurant that said they were there for a private event.
"My heart and my thoughts are with the families of the 2 young chefs from the Fat Duck & with Heston & the whole team at this tragic time," tweeted Raymond Blanc, chef and owner of Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons restaurant.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence