Lucas Implores Liverpool To Sign Tottenham Striker Target
By Vanessa Keller | November 21, 2012 5:17 AM EST
Lucas Leiva believes that Tottenham target Leandro Damiao would be a brilliant addition to the Liverpool line-up, with the Brazilian claiming that his fellow countryman would quickly adjust to the Premier League if he were to make a move.
Damiao has starred for Internacional since making his move from the youth team to the senior side in 2010, and his performances for the Brazil national side have put numerous clubs throughout Europe on notice.
Tottenham were strongly connected with a move for the star in the last summer, but a deal never eventuated and he stayed in South America beyond deadline day.
And now Lucas, who is set to make a return for Liverpool this week after recovering from a thigh problem, believes that besides Brazilian superstar Neymar, Damiao would be able to give Liverpool the firepower they need to challenge for a top four spot once more.
"The consensus in Brazil would be Neymar," he told FourFourTwo when asked who could boost Liverpool's strikeforce. "He is a different player now: a promise turned into reality. But I know signing him would be very hard, almost impossible.
"So among the other players who are currently in Brazil I would choose Leandro Damião. He would suit the Premier League very well, as he is a strong centre-forward who finishes very well and knows how to play with his back to goal."
Liverpool have made no secret of the fact that they are in search of strikers in January, with the club failing to replace Andy Carroll in the summer as he departed for a loan spell at West Ham.
At just 23 years of age, Damiao would be both a short and long term solution to Rodgers' problems, and with Leiva on board to help him settle in, and fellow South Americans Suarez, Sebastian Coates and Doni on hand as well, it could be that Liverpool will get their revenge over Tottenham for taking Clint Dempsey in the dying minutes of deadline day after all.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People