Lucas Implores Liverpool To Sign Tottenham Striker Target
By Vanessa Keller | November 21, 2012 5:17 AM EST
Lucas Leiva believes that Tottenham target Leandro Damiao would be a brilliant addition to the Liverpool line-up, with the Brazilian claiming that his fellow countryman would quickly adjust to the Premier League if he were to make a move.
Damiao has starred for Internacional since making his move from the youth team to the senior side in 2010, and his performances for the Brazil national side have put numerous clubs throughout Europe on notice.
Tottenham were strongly connected with a move for the star in the last summer, but a deal never eventuated and he stayed in South America beyond deadline day.
And now Lucas, who is set to make a return for Liverpool this week after recovering from a thigh problem, believes that besides Brazilian superstar Neymar, Damiao would be able to give Liverpool the firepower they need to challenge for a top four spot once more.
"The consensus in Brazil would be Neymar," he told FourFourTwo when asked who could boost Liverpool's strikeforce. "He is a different player now: a promise turned into reality. But I know signing him would be very hard, almost impossible.
"So among the other players who are currently in Brazil I would choose Leandro Damião. He would suit the Premier League very well, as he is a strong centre-forward who finishes very well and knows how to play with his back to goal."
Liverpool have made no secret of the fact that they are in search of strikers in January, with the club failing to replace Andy Carroll in the summer as he departed for a loan spell at West Ham.
At just 23 years of age, Damiao would be both a short and long term solution to Rodgers' problems, and with Leiva on board to help him settle in, and fellow South Americans Suarez, Sebastian Coates and Doni on hand as well, it could be that Liverpool will get their revenge over Tottenham for taking Clint Dempsey in the dying minutes of deadline day after all.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop