Lucas Implores Liverpool To Sign Tottenham Striker Target
By Vanessa Keller | November 21, 2012 5:17 AM EST
Lucas Leiva believes that Tottenham target Leandro Damiao would be a brilliant addition to the Liverpool line-up, with the Brazilian claiming that his fellow countryman would quickly adjust to the Premier League if he were to make a move.
Damiao has starred for Internacional since making his move from the youth team to the senior side in 2010, and his performances for the Brazil national side have put numerous clubs throughout Europe on notice.
Tottenham were strongly connected with a move for the star in the last summer, but a deal never eventuated and he stayed in South America beyond deadline day.
And now Lucas, who is set to make a return for Liverpool this week after recovering from a thigh problem, believes that besides Brazilian superstar Neymar, Damiao would be able to give Liverpool the firepower they need to challenge for a top four spot once more.
"The consensus in Brazil would be Neymar," he told FourFourTwo when asked who could boost Liverpool's strikeforce. "He is a different player now: a promise turned into reality. But I know signing him would be very hard, almost impossible.
"So among the other players who are currently in Brazil I would choose Leandro Damião. He would suit the Premier League very well, as he is a strong centre-forward who finishes very well and knows how to play with his back to goal."
Liverpool have made no secret of the fact that they are in search of strikers in January, with the club failing to replace Andy Carroll in the summer as he departed for a loan spell at West Ham.
At just 23 years of age, Damiao would be both a short and long term solution to Rodgers' problems, and with Leiva on board to help him settle in, and fellow South Americans Suarez, Sebastian Coates and Doni on hand as well, it could be that Liverpool will get their revenge over Tottenham for taking Clint Dempsey in the dying minutes of deadline day after all.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28