Lucas Implores Liverpool To Sign Tottenham Striker Target
By Vanessa Keller | November 21, 2012 5:17 AM EST
Lucas Leiva believes that Tottenham target Leandro Damiao would be a brilliant addition to the Liverpool line-up, with the Brazilian claiming that his fellow countryman would quickly adjust to the Premier League if he were to make a move.
Damiao has starred for Internacional since making his move from the youth team to the senior side in 2010, and his performances for the Brazil national side have put numerous clubs throughout Europe on notice.
Tottenham were strongly connected with a move for the star in the last summer, but a deal never eventuated and he stayed in South America beyond deadline day.
And now Lucas, who is set to make a return for Liverpool this week after recovering from a thigh problem, believes that besides Brazilian superstar Neymar, Damiao would be able to give Liverpool the firepower they need to challenge for a top four spot once more.
"The consensus in Brazil would be Neymar," he told FourFourTwo when asked who could boost Liverpool's strikeforce. "He is a different player now: a promise turned into reality. But I know signing him would be very hard, almost impossible.
"So among the other players who are currently in Brazil I would choose Leandro Damião. He would suit the Premier League very well, as he is a strong centre-forward who finishes very well and knows how to play with his back to goal."
Liverpool have made no secret of the fact that they are in search of strikers in January, with the club failing to replace Andy Carroll in the summer as he departed for a loan spell at West Ham.
At just 23 years of age, Damiao would be both a short and long term solution to Rodgers' problems, and with Leiva on board to help him settle in, and fellow South Americans Suarez, Sebastian Coates and Doni on hand as well, it could be that Liverpool will get their revenge over Tottenham for taking Clint Dempsey in the dying minutes of deadline day after all.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date