Chengdu China Exclusive: Tax Breaks and Preferential Policies Push Western Investment
By Lianna Brinded | November 21, 2012 5:10 AM EST
Chengdu government officials have unveiled a number of tax breaks and preferential policy incentives to bring more major Western companies to the capital of Sichuan province.
Government officials told IBTimes UK that a number of incentives were being introduced to drive Fortune 500 companies towards the city in an effort to retain its position as one of the world's fastest growing cities.
"We are really llooking to become the hub of the technology, manufacturing, information technology and pharmaceuticals [sectors] in the world and in order to drive investment, the government has supported a number of incentives that makes Chengdu the ideal place for a Fortune 500 company to do business," said Liu Xuezheng, director of Chengdu Municipal Development and Reform Commission.
Other Chengdu government chiefs from the Chengdu Investment Promotion Commission (CIPC) confirmed that major companies that headquartered in the city and were in industries that were "actively encouraged by the government" would receive a 15 percent corporate income tax rate, compared with the 25 percent levied in eastern China.
The tax breaks would be applicable for up to 10 years and will be available until 31 December 2020, said a chief from the CIPC.
Companies would also be exempt from import VAT among other sweeteners.
"Every company that looks for these breaks will be subject to a criteria to qualify but it would still be relaxed in comparison to companies setting up in eastern China," said Ren Ruihong, division chief for the Chengdu Municipal Financial Work Office.
"The companies have to be in an industry where the government is actively trying to encourage growth, such as in the technology or pharmaceuticals. Other preferential policies may apply, depending on the size and the amount of jobs they will be creating for Chengdu. It is negotiable and dependent on a case-by-case basis," he adds.
In addition to the tax breaks, the Chinese government has already granted a number of other incentives to bring more Western companies to Chengdu and the rest of the country as part of the West China Development Strategy.
Chengdu's annual average GDP growth since 2006 stands at 15.2 percent and accounts for 32.6 percent of Sichuan's total.
It also accounts for 8 percent of the total GDP of western China and 1.4 percent of China's overall GDP.
Some 229 Fortune 500 companies have a base in Chengdu and in 2011 alone, 160 multinationals set up a major base here. IBM has moved its HQ to Chengdu.
In October, the world's largest analog circuit component manufacturer and leading semiconductor company Texas Instruments (TI) formally signed an agreement with Chengdu Tianfu Software Park to locate its research and development and sales functions. The Tianfu Software Park is capturing such a large number of technology companies that it is tipped to rival Silicon Valley in the US.
European and UK companies include Roche, Novartis, AstraZeneca, BHP Billiton and GSK.
For more special coverage on Chengdu China, check out IBTimes UK for more in-depth articles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015