Two Children Awarded €15,000 for Getting Stuck in Dublin Lidl Lift
By Hannah Osborne | November 21, 2012 3:28 AM EST
Two children in Dublin have been awarded a total of €15,000 (£12,000) after getting stuck in a lift in Lidl.
Cousins Dawson and Luke Wilson were trapped in the lift of the Lidl in central Dublin for 30 minutes, the Irish Independent reports.
They have today been awarded €7,500 each in the Circuit Civil Court after apparently being traumatised by the experience.
Barrister David Richardson told the court that Dawson, 6, and Luke, 12, both attended their GP after the experience and had suffered from sleepless nights and anxiety.
He said the children had suffered psychological damage from the experience and both had developed a fear of lifts since the incident.
The children were in the lift with Dawson's mother, Gwendolyn, who managed to prise the doors open after half an hour.
Judge Matthew Deery approved the settlement amount. In response to the payout, Lidl said: "Lidl Ireland does not wish to make any comment on this matter."
A number of people responded to the news on Twitter. @DominicPlant wrote: "Seems a large award for such a minor incident. No mention of any negligence by Lidl. What about lift company?"
@IanQuigley said: "I think I'm gonna be riding that lift, jumping up and down and pressing all the buttons at once."
@walcork added: "Yes seems a bit much. Could they have played a game of i-spy? "I spy something beginning with M."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes