Two Children Awarded €15,000 for Getting Stuck in Dublin Lidl Lift
By Hannah Osborne | November 21, 2012 3:28 AM EST
Two children in Dublin have been awarded a total of €15,000 (£12,000) after getting stuck in a lift in Lidl.
Cousins Dawson and Luke Wilson were trapped in the lift of the Lidl in central Dublin for 30 minutes, the Irish Independent reports.
They have today been awarded €7,500 each in the Circuit Civil Court after apparently being traumatised by the experience.
Barrister David Richardson told the court that Dawson, 6, and Luke, 12, both attended their GP after the experience and had suffered from sleepless nights and anxiety.
He said the children had suffered psychological damage from the experience and both had developed a fear of lifts since the incident.
The children were in the lift with Dawson's mother, Gwendolyn, who managed to prise the doors open after half an hour.
Judge Matthew Deery approved the settlement amount. In response to the payout, Lidl said: "Lidl Ireland does not wish to make any comment on this matter."
A number of people responded to the news on Twitter. @DominicPlant wrote: "Seems a large award for such a minor incident. No mention of any negligence by Lidl. What about lift company?"
@IanQuigley said: "I think I'm gonna be riding that lift, jumping up and down and pressing all the buttons at once."
@walcork added: "Yes seems a bit much. Could they have played a game of i-spy? "I spy something beginning with M."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon