Two Children Awarded €15,000 for Getting Stuck in Dublin Lidl Lift
By Hannah Osborne | November 21, 2012 3:28 AM EST
Two children in Dublin have been awarded a total of €15,000 (£12,000) after getting stuck in a lift in Lidl.
Cousins Dawson and Luke Wilson were trapped in the lift of the Lidl in central Dublin for 30 minutes, the Irish Independent reports.
They have today been awarded €7,500 each in the Circuit Civil Court after apparently being traumatised by the experience.
Barrister David Richardson told the court that Dawson, 6, and Luke, 12, both attended their GP after the experience and had suffered from sleepless nights and anxiety.
He said the children had suffered psychological damage from the experience and both had developed a fear of lifts since the incident.
The children were in the lift with Dawson's mother, Gwendolyn, who managed to prise the doors open after half an hour.
Judge Matthew Deery approved the settlement amount. In response to the payout, Lidl said: "Lidl Ireland does not wish to make any comment on this matter."
A number of people responded to the news on Twitter. @DominicPlant wrote: "Seems a large award for such a minor incident. No mention of any negligence by Lidl. What about lift company?"
@IanQuigley said: "I think I'm gonna be riding that lift, jumping up and down and pressing all the buttons at once."
@walcork added: "Yes seems a bit much. Could they have played a game of i-spy? "I spy something beginning with M."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS