Violent Dolphin Deaths In Gulf Of Mexico Under Investigation by NOAA
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 21, 2012 2:21 AM EST
An investigation is under way in the Gulf of Mexico where over the past couple of weeks, several dolphins have been shot, stabbed, and ones tail torn off.
According to the head of the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi Moby Solangi, who is cited by the Associated Press, there have been at least four recent cases in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama and a total of six this year.
“Once we got a rash of them, we realized it may be a trend. We started seeing there’s more to it than just mortality, It’s just an odd time when you don’t usually see animals dying at this time of year,” Solangi told the AP.
While the marine mammal official doesn’t believe the dolphins are being killed for profit, he did say, “It’s cruel. It’s senseless. It’s repugnant, and it’s illegal.”
“Whoever it is, they're deranged. It's not civilized not only to kill animals senselessly, but to mutilate them,” Solangi added.
According to the AP, the dead dolphins were brought to the institute for Marine Mammal Studies Studies for examination and have since been handed over to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
If caught, the criminal(s) could face up to a year in jail and be fined $100,000 for killing the protected species.
Anyone with information on the person or persons responsible for these crimes is encouraged to call the IMMS dolphin line at 1-888-767-3657, NOAA at 1-800-853-1964 or Marine Patrol dispatch at 228-523-4134.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports