Zoe Saldana And The Nina Simone Controversy, Explained
By Eli Epstein | November 21, 2012 2:16 AM EST
Zoe Saldana is one of the fastest-rising stars in Hollywood, but her elite status hasn't shielded her from the darts of the entertainment industry.
After Saldana was chosen by "Nina" director Cynthia Mort to play deceased soul goddess Nina Simone, the public and the media buffeted Saldana and the "Nina" team with frenzied criticism, claiming the casting was a cruel disservice to Simone's legacy.
Originally, Mary J. Blige was slated to portray Simone, but the R&B legend dropped out of the project due to production delays.
When Saldana signed onto the project, it wasn't her acting chops that were disputed, but rather, her likeness to Simone. Critics suggested actresses like Viola Davis ("The Help") and Kimberly Elise (Tyler Perry series) were better suited to star as Simone due to their darker hues.
Saldana, born to a Dominican father and Puerto Rican mother, has a markedly lighter skin tone than Simone, though Mort and the "Nina" crew have done everything in their power to darken the "Avatar" actresses's skin color.
But altering Saldana's complexion has critics arguing the practice betrays Simone's legacy. The singer--who released more than 40 albums before she passed away in 2003 from breast cancer--fought adamantly for equal rights in the U.S. . In interviews she argued that darker-skinned actresses in Hollywood were punished for their skin color, an issue rekindled by the Saldana casting decision.
Simone's daughter, Lisa Simone Kelly, has publicly questioned "Nina," telling the media that her mother told Whoopi Goldberg that she'd like the famed comedian to portray Simone on film. Goldberg confirmed the claim to Joy Behar, who remarked that Saldana's casting "won't work."
Online, according to E!, singer India Arie slammed the decision, but she was quick to point out that her opinions stemmed not from a dislike of Saldana, but rather from physical dissimilarities between the two and a betrayal of Simone's messages by the studio.
"So today I saw the images of Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone…AND I THINK THEY ARE RIDICULOUS," Arie emphatically stated.
She later added that while she had faith in Saldana, she would like to see Viola Davis take on the role.
At Change.org, fans have petitioned Cynthia Mort to reconsider her casting decision. Members write that they do not have a problem with Saldana as an actress. Instead, they'd like to see Simone portrayed by a star who more closely resembles her.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Nymeria Sand and Arya's Nymeria As Possible Ferocious Forces in New HBO Chapter
- The Bachelor 2014 Update: Nikki Ferrell Sparks Split News Amid Juan Pablo’s Cheating Reports; Find out the Truth
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People