Zoe Saldana And The Nina Simone Controversy, Explained
By Eli Epstein | November 21, 2012 2:16 AM EST
Zoe Saldana is one of the fastest-rising stars in Hollywood, but her elite status hasn't shielded her from the darts of the entertainment industry.
After Saldana was chosen by "Nina" director Cynthia Mort to play deceased soul goddess Nina Simone, the public and the media buffeted Saldana and the "Nina" team with frenzied criticism, claiming the casting was a cruel disservice to Simone's legacy.
Originally, Mary J. Blige was slated to portray Simone, but the R&B legend dropped out of the project due to production delays.
When Saldana signed onto the project, it wasn't her acting chops that were disputed, but rather, her likeness to Simone. Critics suggested actresses like Viola Davis ("The Help") and Kimberly Elise (Tyler Perry series) were better suited to star as Simone due to their darker hues.
Saldana, born to a Dominican father and Puerto Rican mother, has a markedly lighter skin tone than Simone, though Mort and the "Nina" crew have done everything in their power to darken the "Avatar" actresses's skin color.
But altering Saldana's complexion has critics arguing the practice betrays Simone's legacy. The singer--who released more than 40 albums before she passed away in 2003 from breast cancer--fought adamantly for equal rights in the U.S. . In interviews she argued that darker-skinned actresses in Hollywood were punished for their skin color, an issue rekindled by the Saldana casting decision.
Simone's daughter, Lisa Simone Kelly, has publicly questioned "Nina," telling the media that her mother told Whoopi Goldberg that she'd like the famed comedian to portray Simone on film. Goldberg confirmed the claim to Joy Behar, who remarked that Saldana's casting "won't work."
Online, according to E!, singer India Arie slammed the decision, but she was quick to point out that her opinions stemmed not from a dislike of Saldana, but rather from physical dissimilarities between the two and a betrayal of Simone's messages by the studio.
"So today I saw the images of Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone…AND I THINK THEY ARE RIDICULOUS," Arie emphatically stated.
She later added that while she had faith in Saldana, she would like to see Viola Davis take on the role.
At Change.org, fans have petitioned Cynthia Mort to reconsider her casting decision. Members write that they do not have a problem with Saldana as an actress. Instead, they'd like to see Simone portrayed by a star who more closely resembles her.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1