Best Buy profit misses estimates; same-store sales fall
November 21, 2012 12:42 AM EST
Best Buy Co Inc
The retailer, which faces cutthroat competition from the likes of Amazon.com Inc , Wal-Mart Stores Inc
Excluding restructuring charges, the company earned 3 cents a share, far below the analysts' average estimate of 12 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Sales at stores open at least 14 months fell 4.3 percent, including a 4 percent decline at the company's U.S. unit.
The news came just days before the unofficial start of the holiday season and amid a wide organizational restructuring under new CEO Hubert Joly and a looming buyout proposal by founder Richard Schulze.
Last month, the retailer had warned that earnings and same-store sales would show declines for its third quarter.
(Reporting by Dhanya Skariachan; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Lisa Von Ahn)
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports