HP Shares Plunge After $8bn Writedown linked to Autonomy Takeover
By Shane Croucher | November 21, 2012 12:32 AM EST
Hewlett Packard has accused the British software firm Autonomy of bloating its value before the US computing giant acquired it for $10.3bn in August of last year.
The allegations have been referred by HP to the Serious Fraud Office in Britain and the US Securities and Exchange Commission's Enforcement Division.
HP said it is "extremely disappointed" after it claims an internal investigation found evidence of "accounting improprieties, misrepresentations and disclosure failures to inflate the underlying financial metrics of the company".
"We remain 100 percent committed to Autonomy and its industry-leading technology," said the US-based IT company in a statement.
Shares in HP fell more than 13 percent in the opening minutes of trading in New York to change hands at $11.50 each. So far this year HP shares have fallen more than 55 percent.
HP announced a non-cash impairment charge of $8.8bn relating to Autonomy in its fourth quarter financial results.
Of this, more than $5bn was linked to its allegations, claimed the company.
An internal probe was launched after a whistleblower from Autonomy's senior management purportedly made serious allegations to HP bosses.
HP said that its investigation led to the conclusion that Autonomy had been "substantially overvalued" at the time of the takeover.
The writedown is the second $8bn adjustment to HP earnings in less than four months after the group announced an $8bn charge in August against the$13.25bn purchase of Electronic Data Systems in 2008.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage