Arsenal and Liverpool Chasing £24m Portuguese Striker – Report
By Vanessa Keller | November 21, 2012 12:26 AM EST
Arsenal and Liverpool are believed to be keeping tabs on Portuguese striker Eder, according to Portuguese reports, with the 24 year old starring for Braga after making a summer move to the club.
In 12 appearances this season, Eder has scored six times, after the club took notice of his talents at Academica and made a play for the hitman at the end of last season.
Liverpool and Arsenal are both believed to be in the market for a striker in January, with the Reds in particular desperate to find a replacement for the on-loan Andy Carroll.
Brendan Rodgers failed to land a striker on deadline day after letting Carroll go to West Ham, and the manager has since been clear about wanting to bring in support for Luis Suarez, who has been creating and scoring the vast majority of the side's goals this season.
Arsenal, meanwhile, are believed to be considering letting Marouane Chamakh go, Talksport reports, with the striker becoming increasingly frustrated at his lack of game time.
Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud were brought in to the Emirates during the summer, and effectively became replacements for Robin van Persie, and with Gervinho also fighting for a place Chamakh has fallen down the pecking order as he fails to deliver in the limited appearances he receives.
Eder's release clause is said to be worth around £24 million, and with his recent arrival at Braga, both Liverpool and Arsenal would have to pay very close to that figure if they hope to land him in January.
The Gunners are not well known for getting involved in the January transfer window, but with the club currently sixth on the table, should they still be out of the mix for a Champions League spot, Wenger's hand may be forced as he looks to the high revenue that comes from qualifying for the prestigious European tournament.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports