Arsenal and Liverpool Chasing £24m Portuguese Striker – Report
By Vanessa Keller | November 21, 2012 12:26 AM EST
Arsenal and Liverpool are believed to be keeping tabs on Portuguese striker Eder, according to Portuguese reports, with the 24 year old starring for Braga after making a summer move to the club.
In 12 appearances this season, Eder has scored six times, after the club took notice of his talents at Academica and made a play for the hitman at the end of last season.
Liverpool and Arsenal are both believed to be in the market for a striker in January, with the Reds in particular desperate to find a replacement for the on-loan Andy Carroll.
Brendan Rodgers failed to land a striker on deadline day after letting Carroll go to West Ham, and the manager has since been clear about wanting to bring in support for Luis Suarez, who has been creating and scoring the vast majority of the side's goals this season.
Arsenal, meanwhile, are believed to be considering letting Marouane Chamakh go, Talksport reports, with the striker becoming increasingly frustrated at his lack of game time.
Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud were brought in to the Emirates during the summer, and effectively became replacements for Robin van Persie, and with Gervinho also fighting for a place Chamakh has fallen down the pecking order as he fails to deliver in the limited appearances he receives.
Eder's release clause is said to be worth around £24 million, and with his recent arrival at Braga, both Liverpool and Arsenal would have to pay very close to that figure if they hope to land him in January.
The Gunners are not well known for getting involved in the January transfer window, but with the club currently sixth on the table, should they still be out of the mix for a Champions League spot, Wenger's hand may be forced as he looks to the high revenue that comes from qualifying for the prestigious European tournament.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments