Arsenal and Liverpool Chasing £24m Portuguese Striker – Report
By Vanessa Keller | November 21, 2012 12:26 AM EST
Arsenal and Liverpool are believed to be keeping tabs on Portuguese striker Eder, according to Portuguese reports, with the 24 year old starring for Braga after making a summer move to the club.
In 12 appearances this season, Eder has scored six times, after the club took notice of his talents at Academica and made a play for the hitman at the end of last season.
Liverpool and Arsenal are both believed to be in the market for a striker in January, with the Reds in particular desperate to find a replacement for the on-loan Andy Carroll.
Brendan Rodgers failed to land a striker on deadline day after letting Carroll go to West Ham, and the manager has since been clear about wanting to bring in support for Luis Suarez, who has been creating and scoring the vast majority of the side's goals this season.
Arsenal, meanwhile, are believed to be considering letting Marouane Chamakh go, Talksport reports, with the striker becoming increasingly frustrated at his lack of game time.
Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud were brought in to the Emirates during the summer, and effectively became replacements for Robin van Persie, and with Gervinho also fighting for a place Chamakh has fallen down the pecking order as he fails to deliver in the limited appearances he receives.
Eder's release clause is said to be worth around £24 million, and with his recent arrival at Braga, both Liverpool and Arsenal would have to pay very close to that figure if they hope to land him in January.
The Gunners are not well known for getting involved in the January transfer window, but with the club currently sixth on the table, should they still be out of the mix for a Champions League spot, Wenger's hand may be forced as he looks to the high revenue that comes from qualifying for the prestigious European tournament.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?