Coeure sees risks to ECB's price stability mandate
November 20, 2012 11:42 PM EST
Euro zone banking sector problems risk dominating central bank policymaking to the neglect of its price stability mandate, ECB Executive Board member Benoit Coeure said on Tuesday.
Because of this danger, it was crucial to agree new rules on banking supervision, giving the leading role to the ECB, Coeure told an audience at Euro Finance Week.
"We are at risk in Europe to face a situation which is a little bit like Japan in 90s, with forbearance in addressing issues in the banking system and the temptation on relying on central bank to provide liquidity to banks even at the expense of efficiency and ultimately at the expense of price stability," Coeure said
In the 1990s, Japan went through a lost decade of lacklustre growth and deflation dangers, where the central bank stepped in to aid ailing banks and kept interest rates very low.
Coeure also said that a new euro zone banking supervisory system should not be put together hastily, adding that while the ground rules should be agreed by January, actual implementation could start later.
Costs from bank failures should be carried by taxpayers only in exceptional situation, and even then local taxpayers should have to bear the costs before involving those at a European level, Coeure said.
"In case these accidents (of bank failures) materialise, the residual risk to taxpayers will be borne first by local taxpayers and only at a later stage by European taxpayers," said Coeure, who joined the ECB at the beginning of the year.
Coeure also said that the ECB was ready with Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT) as its new bond-buying plan, if a country were to apply for help from the European bailout fund.
The new programme had helped to calm financial markets, even though it has not yet been activated, he said, adding that this situation would not last were countries to slacken their reform and budget consolidation efforts.
(Reporting by Sakari Suoninen and Eva Kuehnen; editing by Stephen Nisbet)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine