Hamas Military Wing's Mohamed Deif: Fighters Ready for Ground War with Israel
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | November 20, 2012 11:02 PM EST
The head of Hamas's military wing, Mohamed Deif, has announced that militants in Gaza "should be ready for a ground war with Israel".
In a rare televised address, Deif did not mention a possible ceasefire with Israel, but instead encouraged Palestinian fighters to keep fighting Israel.
"Israel's assassination of [Hamas second-in-command] Ahmad al-Jabari was an irresponsible act," he said. "The Palestinian response made by the Palestinian pesistance broke what was being expected. This battle is the start to free Palestine from Israeli occupation."
Deif is one of the founders of the Hamas military wing and was its top commander until he was wounded in 2003. He was replaced as by Ahmed al-Jabari, who was assassinated by Israel last week in the opening salvo of its latest Gaza offensive.
As tensions mounted, jets belonging to the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) were dropping leaflets over Gaza, urging the occupants of 11 villages to evacuate.
In another development, Turkey's prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused Israel of conducting ethnic cleansing against Palestinians.
Following Monday's remarks, in which the leader of the moderate Islamist AKP party accused the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) of carrying out "terrorist acts" in the Gaza Strip, Erdogan said Israel was undermining peace and international law in the region.
"Israel is occupying Palestinian lands step-by-step," the PM said.
Meanwhile, the IDF reported that one of its soldiers was "moderately wounded" in a fresh rocket attack. At least seven Gazans were killed in the latest Israeli airstrike, including several civilians, bringing the death toll to 114 as Operation Pillar of Defence entered its seventh day.
The IDF said 120 trucks carrying food and aid were ready to enter Gaza but Hamas started firing at the crossing. Only 24 trucks managed to get in and the crossing was subsequently closed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Canada’s Anti-Prostitution Law Soon: Critics Call it Draconian
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points