Thomas Eisfeld: Another Talented German Excelling in Arsenal’s Academy
By Adrian Back | November 20, 2012 10:54 PM EST
Arsenal fans have already had glimpses of the immense talent of Serge Gnabry and it seems it won't be long before his fellow countryman Thomas Eisfeld is making a similar statement in the first team.
The 19-year-old was on target twice for the Arsenal Under-21 side as they secured a 4-2 win over Norwich on Monday night to remain five points behind current leaders West Ham.
The last time that Arsenal faced Norwich much of the talk was about Gnabry as he made his Premier League debut, but this time round it was Eisfeld that outshone his fellow German.
Both young midfielders made the decision to leave Bundesliga clubs in order to try and make their make in England and the duo have certainly excelled this season.
Eisfeld left German champions Borussia Dortmund in January 2012 to sign a long-term contract at the Emirates and has since impressed while playing for the Under-21 side.
He bagged a brace in the 2-1 win over Everton when he lined up alongside Jack Wilshere, while his two last night further demonstrated his potential. The first strike showed his composure and quick feet; his second was a beautifully curled effort over the helpless Norwich keeper Declan Rudd.
The continued excellence of Eisfeld has not gone unnoticed by the Arsenal coaching staff, with NextGen manager Terry Burton heaping praise on the young midfielder.
"He's a very intelligent footballer and arguably plays better with better players because he is intelligent," Burton told the Arsenal website after the 2-1 win over Bolton two weeks ago. "He gets in good positions and, as you saw again tonight, he's got excellent technique and can finish things off."
The hugely talented central midfielder has regularly featured for Germany at youth level and will be desperate to make an impression in the Arsenal side after turning down the chance to challenge for titles with Dortmund.
The Bundesliga side have produced some fine players in recent times, with Eisfeld's former youth teammate Mario Gotze this season establishing himself as first choice in the Dortmund midfield.
Eisfeld will hope his decision can be vindicated and his performances for the Arsenal youth sides will certainly stand him in good stead as manager Arsene Wenger is renowned for giving you academy players a chance to excel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide