Former England Defender Finds Perfect Destination for Beckham as Star Leaves MLS
By Vishnuprasad S | November 20, 2012 9:53 PM EST
Former England and West Ham United defender Alvin Martin feels David Beckham would fit in perfectly at the Hammers.
The former Three Lions captain is in the hunt for a new club, after announcing that he will leave Los Angeles Galaxy after the MLS Cup final against Houston Dynamo at the Home Depot Center on December 1. And Martin is confident that the 37-year-old still has the ability to shine in the Premier League as his game is not based on pace and trick moves.
"He should go to West Ham. If West Ham are doing as well towards the end of the season as they are now, then why not? He'd be perfect at delivering balls for Andy Carroll. He's still got another year or two in him yet because he's not all about pace or athleticism," TalkSport quoted Martin as saying.
Beckham had an option to extend his contract with the Galaxy for another year but has decided to leave the MLS for "one last challenge", ending a six-year stay in Los Angeles.
"I've had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy, however, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career. I don't see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future," the MLS Web site quoted Beckham.
"In my time here I have seen the popularity of the game grow every year. I've been fortunate to win trophies, but more important to me has been the fantastic reception I've had from fans in LA and across the States. Soccer's potential has no limits in this wonderful country, and I want to always be part of growing it," the former Manchester United star added.
Beckham joined Galaxy from Real Madrid in 2007 and won the MLS Cup in 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James