Former England Defender Finds Perfect Destination for Beckham as Star Leaves MLS
By Vishnuprasad S | November 20, 2012 9:53 PM EST
Former England and West Ham United defender Alvin Martin feels David Beckham would fit in perfectly at the Hammers.
The former Three Lions captain is in the hunt for a new club, after announcing that he will leave Los Angeles Galaxy after the MLS Cup final against Houston Dynamo at the Home Depot Center on December 1. And Martin is confident that the 37-year-old still has the ability to shine in the Premier League as his game is not based on pace and trick moves.
"He should go to West Ham. If West Ham are doing as well towards the end of the season as they are now, then why not? He'd be perfect at delivering balls for Andy Carroll. He's still got another year or two in him yet because he's not all about pace or athleticism," TalkSport quoted Martin as saying.
Beckham had an option to extend his contract with the Galaxy for another year but has decided to leave the MLS for "one last challenge", ending a six-year stay in Los Angeles.
"I've had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy, however, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career. I don't see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future," the MLS Web site quoted Beckham.
"In my time here I have seen the popularity of the game grow every year. I've been fortunate to win trophies, but more important to me has been the fantastic reception I've had from fans in LA and across the States. Soccer's potential has no limits in this wonderful country, and I want to always be part of growing it," the former Manchester United star added.
Beckham joined Galaxy from Real Madrid in 2007 and won the MLS Cup in 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2