Former England Defender Finds Perfect Destination for Beckham as Star Leaves MLS
By Vishnuprasad S | November 20, 2012 9:53 PM EST
Former England and West Ham United defender Alvin Martin feels David Beckham would fit in perfectly at the Hammers.
The former Three Lions captain is in the hunt for a new club, after announcing that he will leave Los Angeles Galaxy after the MLS Cup final against Houston Dynamo at the Home Depot Center on December 1. And Martin is confident that the 37-year-old still has the ability to shine in the Premier League as his game is not based on pace and trick moves.
"He should go to West Ham. If West Ham are doing as well towards the end of the season as they are now, then why not? He'd be perfect at delivering balls for Andy Carroll. He's still got another year or two in him yet because he's not all about pace or athleticism," TalkSport quoted Martin as saying.
Beckham had an option to extend his contract with the Galaxy for another year but has decided to leave the MLS for "one last challenge", ending a six-year stay in Los Angeles.
"I've had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy, however, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career. I don't see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future," the MLS Web site quoted Beckham.
"In my time here I have seen the popularity of the game grow every year. I've been fortunate to win trophies, but more important to me has been the fantastic reception I've had from fans in LA and across the States. Soccer's potential has no limits in this wonderful country, and I want to always be part of growing it," the former Manchester United star added.
Beckham joined Galaxy from Real Madrid in 2007 and won the MLS Cup in 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop