Former England Defender Finds Perfect Destination for Beckham as Star Leaves MLS
By Vishnuprasad S | November 20, 2012 9:53 PM EST
Former England and West Ham United defender Alvin Martin feels David Beckham would fit in perfectly at the Hammers.
The former Three Lions captain is in the hunt for a new club, after announcing that he will leave Los Angeles Galaxy after the MLS Cup final against Houston Dynamo at the Home Depot Center on December 1. And Martin is confident that the 37-year-old still has the ability to shine in the Premier League as his game is not based on pace and trick moves.
"He should go to West Ham. If West Ham are doing as well towards the end of the season as they are now, then why not? He'd be perfect at delivering balls for Andy Carroll. He's still got another year or two in him yet because he's not all about pace or athleticism," TalkSport quoted Martin as saying.
Beckham had an option to extend his contract with the Galaxy for another year but has decided to leave the MLS for "one last challenge", ending a six-year stay in Los Angeles.
"I've had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy, however, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career. I don't see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future," the MLS Web site quoted Beckham.
"In my time here I have seen the popularity of the game grow every year. I've been fortunate to win trophies, but more important to me has been the fantastic reception I've had from fans in LA and across the States. Soccer's potential has no limits in this wonderful country, and I want to always be part of growing it," the former Manchester United star added.
Beckham joined Galaxy from Real Madrid in 2007 and won the MLS Cup in 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’