Australia Joins Nations Against Death Penalty
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 20, 2012 5:46 PM EST
Australia, along with 109 other nations, on Tuesday supported a resolution at the UN General Assembly urging for the elimination of the death penalty. The declaration is voted upon every two years by member-nations.
Thirty-nine countries, among them the United States, Japan, China, Iran, India, North Korea and Syria, voted against the non-binding resolution in the assembly's rights committee. Thirty-six other countries, meantime, abstained.
At the last vote two years ago, 107 countries backed the resolution. The uptick in the number of support was a "great result," according to nation Norway's Twitter account, which gave off a large amount of time to generate supporters for the abolition.
In June 2013, a world congress against the death penalty will be held in Madrid, Spain.
The Australian reported, citing Amnesty International, that China alone in 2011 had put to death thousands" of prisoners, without detailing exact numbers.
Other nations using the severe form of capital punishment include Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
About 150 countries have eradicated using capital punishment, according to the United Nations. In 2011, the state of Illinois in the United States became the 16th US state to abolish the death penalty.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools