Viral Video with 8M Views: "Dumb Ways to Die" Melbourne Metro Ad - Cute, Twisted, Brilliant
By Arlene Paredes | November 20, 2012 1:34 PM EST
"Dumb Ways to Die," a public transport TV ad for Melbourne Metro, has drawn 8 million views on YouTube in a week's time. It has been described in many ways and these are some of the most used words: cute, twisted, and brilliant.
Melbourne has a population of nearly 5 million people, but the "Dumb Ways to Die" metro ad clearly reached viewers beyond the city.
The ad features dreadful causes of death with a cute animation and a catchy tune. It shows - in a twisted but effective way - that death could come to those who ignore the signal at a pedestrian level crossing and act careless on train tracks. The 3-minute video is brilliant in getting viewers' attention.
Watch the video, and you are likely to catch a 'Dumb Ways' LSS (last song syndrome). The words and the melody could loop in your head all day.
"Dumb ways to die...dumb ways to die-ie-ie," goes the song performed by Melbourne artist Tangerine Kitty.
If you can't get enough of the "Dumb Ways to Die" theme, you can get it here. The funny song has made it in Australia's top 10 list on iTunes, which just goes to show how ear-friendly it is to the Aussies.
John Mescall, the McCann executive creative director behind the campaign, said:
"We've got people eating superglue, sticking forks in toasters and selling both their kidneys. But truth is indeed stranger than fiction, and we still couldn't come up with dumber ways to die than driving around boomgates and all the other things people do to put themselves in harm's way around trains. The aim of this campaign is to engage an audience that really doesn't want to hear any kind of safety message - and we think dumb ways to die will."
Viral Video, 8M Views: "Dumb Ways to Die" Melbourne Metro Ad - Cutest PSA ever?
McCann's "Dumb Ways to Die" is arguably one of the cutest PSAs ever made. See for yourself, play the media below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More