Viral Video with 8M Views: "Dumb Ways to Die" Melbourne Metro Ad - Cute, Twisted, Brilliant
By Arlene Paredes | November 20, 2012 1:34 PM EST
"Dumb Ways to Die," a public transport TV ad for Melbourne Metro, has drawn 8 million views on YouTube in a week's time. It has been described in many ways and these are some of the most used words: cute, twisted, and brilliant.
Melbourne has a population of nearly 5 million people, but the "Dumb Ways to Die" metro ad clearly reached viewers beyond the city.
The ad features dreadful causes of death with a cute animation and a catchy tune. It shows - in a twisted but effective way - that death could come to those who ignore the signal at a pedestrian level crossing and act careless on train tracks. The 3-minute video is brilliant in getting viewers' attention.
Watch the video, and you are likely to catch a 'Dumb Ways' LSS (last song syndrome). The words and the melody could loop in your head all day.
"Dumb ways to die...dumb ways to die-ie-ie," goes the song performed by Melbourne artist Tangerine Kitty.
If you can't get enough of the "Dumb Ways to Die" theme, you can get it here. The funny song has made it in Australia's top 10 list on iTunes, which just goes to show how ear-friendly it is to the Aussies.
John Mescall, the McCann executive creative director behind the campaign, said:
"We've got people eating superglue, sticking forks in toasters and selling both their kidneys. But truth is indeed stranger than fiction, and we still couldn't come up with dumber ways to die than driving around boomgates and all the other things people do to put themselves in harm's way around trains. The aim of this campaign is to engage an audience that really doesn't want to hear any kind of safety message - and we think dumb ways to die will."
Viral Video, 8M Views: "Dumb Ways to Die" Melbourne Metro Ad - Cutest PSA ever?
McCann's "Dumb Ways to Die" is arguably one of the cutest PSAs ever made. See for yourself, play the media below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William And Kate Middleton Complete NYC Tour Itinerary [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Acquiring Nuclear Weapons A Game-Changer For Obama As UN Warns of Militants' Two-Year Supply of Weapons
- Viral Video Wife Rapping Salt-N-Pepa Song: Husband's Video Recording Of Wife Rapping 'None Of Your Business' Goes Viral
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- ‘World's Sexiest Criminal’ Says Sorry, Agrees to ‘Face Consequences’
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots