One Direction Meets The Queen At Royal Variety Performance In London [PHOTO]
By Maria Vultaggio | November 20, 2012 12:47 PM EST
Chart-toppers “One Direction” got to play for Queen Elizabeth II at the Royal Variety Performance on Monday.
The British boy band created by music producer Simon Cowell joined the likes of Robbie Williams, Kylie Minogue and Girls Aloud at the event for queen hosted by David Walliams.
One Direction became a sensation in the U.S. during 2012 when they released their hit “What Makes You Beautiful.”
For the Royal Variety Performance the boys sang the fourth hit off their debut album, “Little Things,” written by Ed Sheeran.
According to the Daily Record the Duke of Edinburgh accompanied the queen to the event that took place at the Royal Albert Hall. This year’s show was special for the royals because it was the 100th anniversary.
Crooners like Neil Diamond, Rod Stewart and Alicia Keys also serenaded the queen.
The Daily Record said the event will be broadcast some time in December.
The Royal Variety Performance is a fundraiser for the Entertainment Artists' Benevolent Fund, helping to give money for its retirement and nursing home in Twickenham, Southwest London.
One Direction fans made “The Queen” a trending topic after Harry Styles, one of the band members, posted that he got to meet the Queen of England.
Harry Styles simply tweeted: “Today, I met The Queen,” and by 8:30 p.m. and it was retweeted nearly 30,000 times.
Some “One Directioners” were confused why they were meeting the queen and others were jealous that the royal family got to meet the teenage dreamboats.
@xiallophone wrote, “THEYRE SO PRECIOUS AND HOT AT THE SAME TIME WHY AM I NOT THE QUEEN”
@malikyourface_tweeted, “I HATE COMPARING 1D TO THE BEATLES BUT LOOK AT THE SIMILARITY WHEN THEY BOTH MET THE QUEEN IM SO DONE”
@iHeartNouisx “Ya know whats amazing!? The boys performed for The Queentoday! The Queen! That is like the ultimate accomplishment!”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery