Sarah Cafferkey: Missing Vic Woman Confirmed Dead, Murder Suspect is a Convicted Killer
By Arlene Paredes | November 20, 2012 12:24 PM EST
The woman's body found in a Melbourne crime scene has been formally identified as Sarah Cafferkey. Reports say the suspect in Cafferkey's murder is a convicted killer, and is now the subject of a nationwide hunt.
Sarah Cafferkey, 22, from Bacchus Marsh, was reported missing on Nov.9 after reportedly spending time with friends.
Sarah's 2001 Astra sedan was found in Maribyrnong just days after her disappearance. Investigating authorities later picked up a lead that brought them to a Point Cook house on Saturday night. Police acquired a search warrant, which led to the discovery of Sarah's body. A murder investigation followed.
Murder Suspect: Convicted killer
Police have yet to release any theories on the murderer's motives. As part of their investigation, detectives are also mum on any murder weapon used as well as the cause of death. But Herald Sun reported, "(T)he person of interest has a violent history and recently split from his girlfriend."
It was also revealed that the suspect was convicted in 1986. He stabbed to death an 18-year-old woman, and was sentenced to a minimum of 13 years in jail. He had escaped from prison after four years, but police caught him just 30 minutes later.
Sarah Cafferkey: Who sent the 'heartbreaker' message on Facebook?
Police officers have earlier said they were looking into Sarah's personal Facebook page. They spotted some crucial messages linked to the suspect. The messages seemed friendly and innocent, except for the part when the poster called Sarah a "heartbreaker."
The Australian reported the suspect left Sarah the following messages via Facebook:
"Love the pics....Looking good Heartbreaker lol"
"Catch up when you get free time...."
A Facebook page that was created to reach out to anyone who may have information on Sarah is now filled with messages of sympathies for the young woman's family.
"Thoughts and prayers are with Sarah, Sarah's family and everyone affected no family should have to go through something like this," wrote Jasmine Rachwalski.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage