Sarah Cafferkey: Missing Vic Woman Confirmed Dead, Murder Suspect is a Convicted Killer
By Arlene Paredes | November 20, 2012 12:24 PM EST
The woman's body found in a Melbourne crime scene has been formally identified as Sarah Cafferkey. Reports say the suspect in Cafferkey's murder is a convicted killer, and is now the subject of a nationwide hunt.
Sarah Cafferkey, 22, from Bacchus Marsh, was reported missing on Nov.9 after reportedly spending time with friends.
Sarah's 2001 Astra sedan was found in Maribyrnong just days after her disappearance. Investigating authorities later picked up a lead that brought them to a Point Cook house on Saturday night. Police acquired a search warrant, which led to the discovery of Sarah's body. A murder investigation followed.
Murder Suspect: Convicted killer
Police have yet to release any theories on the murderer's motives. As part of their investigation, detectives are also mum on any murder weapon used as well as the cause of death. But Herald Sun reported, "(T)he person of interest has a violent history and recently split from his girlfriend."
It was also revealed that the suspect was convicted in 1986. He stabbed to death an 18-year-old woman, and was sentenced to a minimum of 13 years in jail. He had escaped from prison after four years, but police caught him just 30 minutes later.
Sarah Cafferkey: Who sent the 'heartbreaker' message on Facebook?
Police officers have earlier said they were looking into Sarah's personal Facebook page. They spotted some crucial messages linked to the suspect. The messages seemed friendly and innocent, except for the part when the poster called Sarah a "heartbreaker."
The Australian reported the suspect left Sarah the following messages via Facebook:
"Love the pics....Looking good Heartbreaker lol"
"Catch up when you get free time...."
A Facebook page that was created to reach out to anyone who may have information on Sarah is now filled with messages of sympathies for the young woman's family.
"Thoughts and prayers are with Sarah, Sarah's family and everyone affected no family should have to go through something like this," wrote Jasmine Rachwalski.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports