Sarah Cafferkey: Missing Vic Woman Confirmed Dead, Murder Suspect is a Convicted Killer
By Arlene Paredes | November 20, 2012 12:24 PM EST
The woman's body found in a Melbourne crime scene has been formally identified as Sarah Cafferkey. Reports say the suspect in Cafferkey's murder is a convicted killer, and is now the subject of a nationwide hunt.
Sarah Cafferkey, 22, from Bacchus Marsh, was reported missing on Nov.9 after reportedly spending time with friends.
Sarah's 2001 Astra sedan was found in Maribyrnong just days after her disappearance. Investigating authorities later picked up a lead that brought them to a Point Cook house on Saturday night. Police acquired a search warrant, which led to the discovery of Sarah's body. A murder investigation followed.
Murder Suspect: Convicted killer
Police have yet to release any theories on the murderer's motives. As part of their investigation, detectives are also mum on any murder weapon used as well as the cause of death. But Herald Sun reported, "(T)he person of interest has a violent history and recently split from his girlfriend."
It was also revealed that the suspect was convicted in 1986. He stabbed to death an 18-year-old woman, and was sentenced to a minimum of 13 years in jail. He had escaped from prison after four years, but police caught him just 30 minutes later.
Sarah Cafferkey: Who sent the 'heartbreaker' message on Facebook?
Police officers have earlier said they were looking into Sarah's personal Facebook page. They spotted some crucial messages linked to the suspect. The messages seemed friendly and innocent, except for the part when the poster called Sarah a "heartbreaker."
The Australian reported the suspect left Sarah the following messages via Facebook:
"Love the pics....Looking good Heartbreaker lol"
"Catch up when you get free time...."
A Facebook page that was created to reach out to anyone who may have information on Sarah is now filled with messages of sympathies for the young woman's family.
"Thoughts and prayers are with Sarah, Sarah's family and everyone affected no family should have to go through something like this," wrote Jasmine Rachwalski.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon