Sarah Cafferkey: Missing Vic Woman Confirmed Dead, Murder Suspect is a Convicted Killer
By Arlene Paredes | November 20, 2012 12:24 PM EST
The woman's body found in a Melbourne crime scene has been formally identified as Sarah Cafferkey. Reports say the suspect in Cafferkey's murder is a convicted killer, and is now the subject of a nationwide hunt.
Sarah Cafferkey, 22, from Bacchus Marsh, was reported missing on Nov.9 after reportedly spending time with friends.
Sarah's 2001 Astra sedan was found in Maribyrnong just days after her disappearance. Investigating authorities later picked up a lead that brought them to a Point Cook house on Saturday night. Police acquired a search warrant, which led to the discovery of Sarah's body. A murder investigation followed.
Murder Suspect: Convicted killer
Police have yet to release any theories on the murderer's motives. As part of their investigation, detectives are also mum on any murder weapon used as well as the cause of death. But Herald Sun reported, "(T)he person of interest has a violent history and recently split from his girlfriend."
It was also revealed that the suspect was convicted in 1986. He stabbed to death an 18-year-old woman, and was sentenced to a minimum of 13 years in jail. He had escaped from prison after four years, but police caught him just 30 minutes later.
Sarah Cafferkey: Who sent the 'heartbreaker' message on Facebook?
Police officers have earlier said they were looking into Sarah's personal Facebook page. They spotted some crucial messages linked to the suspect. The messages seemed friendly and innocent, except for the part when the poster called Sarah a "heartbreaker."
The Australian reported the suspect left Sarah the following messages via Facebook:
"Love the pics....Looking good Heartbreaker lol"
"Catch up when you get free time...."
A Facebook page that was created to reach out to anyone who may have information on Sarah is now filled with messages of sympathies for the young woman's family.
"Thoughts and prayers are with Sarah, Sarah's family and everyone affected no family should have to go through something like this," wrote Jasmine Rachwalski.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery