Cuba Gets First Transgender Public Official
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 20, 2012 11:53 AM EST
Cuba’s first transgender public official has taken office after being elected earlier this month to the municipal government of the city of Caibarien in the province of Villa Clara.
Adela Hernandez’s election as a delegate to the city council has been hailed as a milestone in a country where homophobia was state policy for decades.
"As time evolves, homophobic people -- although they will always exist -- are the minority," Hernandez, 49, told the Guardian, adding that her election "is a great triumph."
During the 1980s, Hernandez served two years in prison as she was considered a negative influence on society.
Since then, the Castro government has taken a more progressive stance, ending arbitrary imprisonment that discriminates against gays, and as of 2007, has included sex-change surgery within the country’s subsidized healthcare system.
Hernandez has vowed to advocate for the gay rights in addition to representing her community.
“I represent a community but I will always keep in mind the defense of gays," Hernandez told the Guardian.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues