Uranium, The New Contrarian Play?
November 20, 2012 11:13 AM EST
By Andrew Nelson
One of the things that uranium market watchers assumed would halt the metal's slide was news a few months back that China had shrugged off its post Fukushima ashes and decided to go ahead at full steam in expanding the nation's nuclear energy program. The country is targeting 80 gigawatts of new, uranium-fuelled power by 2020. That's a lot of yellowcake. Uranium's response: weakness and further decline.
Aside from China, there are numerous countries ranging from oil rich UAE, Saudi Arabia all the way to Poland that have recently renewed their national commitment to nuclear power. Adding China's plans to the global picture sees 436 reactors running worldwide, with a further 60 nuclear reactors under construction and approximately 150 new reactors in the planning stages. Uranium's response: weakness and further decline.
There is a bit of new good news for sellers as well, with Kazakhstan, the world's biggest producer of uranium, saying last week it may delay planned mine expansions. The other two largest producers in the world, Canada's Cameco Corp and France's Areva SA, also reduced their annual production forecasts last month in a push to scale back growth plans.
So what we have
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 26, 2014
- Survey Says Many Investors Unaware of True State of Stock Market
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 26, 2014
- 3 Keys to Real Estate Selling Success, According to Aussie Superstar Agent
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown