UN Upholds Colombia's Claim In Island Dispute With Nicaragua
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 20, 2012 11:02 AM EST
The U.N. International Court of Justice ruled Monday that Colombia has sovereignty over several disputed islands in the Caribbean also claimed by Nicaragua.
The judgment settled the dispute over a chain of seven islands, formally brought before the ICJ in 2001, but also extended Nicaragua’s maritime borders, potentially giving it more access to underwater oil and natural gas deposits.
"The court agrees that the achievement of an equitable solution requires a line of delimitation to allow the parties to attain their maritime rights in a mutually balanced way," Judge Peter Tomka said, the BBC reported.
The court ruling was based in part on a 1928 treaty between Colombia and Nicaragua that granted Colombia sovereignty over three of the islands.
In 1980, the new Sandinista government in Nicaragua annulled the 1928 treaty, but the ICJ upheld in in a 2007 ruling.
In its latest judgment, the ICJ ruled that all islands within the archipelago belonged to Columbia.
The islands lie 480 miles off the coast of Colombia and roughly 140 miles off the coast of Nicaragua.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell