Rowan Atkinson To Retire Mr. Bean
By Charles Poladian | November 20, 2012 10:21 AM EST
Mr. Bean, the character made famous by Rowan Atkinson, may soon be retiring. Atkinson says the time has come for Mr. Bean to say goodbye since playing him at his age, 57, could come across as sad.
Rowan Atkinson spoke about retiring the Mr. Bean character to The Daily Telegraph. While Atkinson will forever be linked to Mr. Bean, for Atkinson, it is time to focus on more serious roles and perhaps a return to the theater.
Mr. Bean became a bumbling sensation nearly two decades ago. Despite rarely getting anything right in the television show or subsequent movies, has become an icon, even appearing in the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony that was directed by Danny Boyle. The two movies centered on the character, “Bean” and “Mr. Bean's Holiday” have grossed over $480 million worldwide combined. Mr. Bean was even turned into an animated series.
With all the success, Mr. Bean has become indelibly linked to Atkinson, to the point that he has been typecast, according to The Daily Telegraph. According to Atkinson, “The stuff that has been most commercially successful for me – basically quite physical, quite childish – I increasingly feel I’m going to do a lot less of.” Atkinson goes on to say that playing a character like Mr. Bean at his age could come across as a bit sad given the childlike nature of the role.
Atkinson, who was a member of the Oxford University Dramatic Society in his youth, hopes to continue taking on roles in theater. According to The Daily Telegraph, Atkinson starred in the UK revival of “Oliver!” in London's West End as Fagin in 2009.
Beginning in January 2013, Atkinson will star in “Quartermaine's Terms,” a play by Simon Gray.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’