Rowan Atkinson To Retire Mr. Bean
By Charles Poladian | November 20, 2012 10:21 AM EST
Mr. Bean, the character made famous by Rowan Atkinson, may soon be retiring. Atkinson says the time has come for Mr. Bean to say goodbye since playing him at his age, 57, could come across as sad.
Rowan Atkinson spoke about retiring the Mr. Bean character to The Daily Telegraph. While Atkinson will forever be linked to Mr. Bean, for Atkinson, it is time to focus on more serious roles and perhaps a return to the theater.
Mr. Bean became a bumbling sensation nearly two decades ago. Despite rarely getting anything right in the television show or subsequent movies, has become an icon, even appearing in the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony that was directed by Danny Boyle. The two movies centered on the character, “Bean” and “Mr. Bean's Holiday” have grossed over $480 million worldwide combined. Mr. Bean was even turned into an animated series.
With all the success, Mr. Bean has become indelibly linked to Atkinson, to the point that he has been typecast, according to The Daily Telegraph. According to Atkinson, “The stuff that has been most commercially successful for me – basically quite physical, quite childish – I increasingly feel I’m going to do a lot less of.” Atkinson goes on to say that playing a character like Mr. Bean at his age could come across as a bit sad given the childlike nature of the role.
Atkinson, who was a member of the Oxford University Dramatic Society in his youth, hopes to continue taking on roles in theater. According to The Daily Telegraph, Atkinson starred in the UK revival of “Oliver!” in London's West End as Fagin in 2009.
Beginning in January 2013, Atkinson will star in “Quartermaine's Terms,” a play by Simon Gray.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies