Will Robert Pattinson Have A Career After 'Twilight'?
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 20, 2012 8:45 AM EST
With the blockbuster "Twilight" franchise now behind him, the fate of Robert Pattinson's career remains to be seen. Yet based on the list of projects that the actor has in the works, it's clear filmgoers can expect to see plenty more of the 26-year-old.
Pattinson is attached to star in six upcoming films and though none of them are likely to break box office records, they all have highly acclaimed directors and actors attached.
The heartthrob will soon head to Australia to film "The Rover," a futuristic western, alongside Guy Pearce and Scott McNairy.
"It's one of my top five favorite scripts that I've read since I started doing this," Pattinson told MTV of the film, which is set to be directed by David Michod. "It's the type of part I was afraid I wouldn't get after being in a franchise."
Pattinson will also star in "Mission Blacklist," based on the true story of the capture and execution of Saddam Hussein; Werner Herzog’s next project “Queen of the Desert," alongside Naomi Watts and Jude Law; and “Hold On to Me” opposite Carey Mulligan.
Earlier this month, it was reported that Pattinson will re-team with David Cronenberg for "Map to the Stars," starring Viggo Mortensen and Rachel Weisz. The film, which is reportedly a comment on celebrity obsession and Hollywood excess, is set to begin filming in May.
So far, most of Pattinson's non-"Twilight" projects have received relatively lukewarm responses. His performance in the 2010 romantic drama "Remember Me" as well as last year's "Water for Elephants" received mixed responses from critics and were only mildly successful at the box office.
Yet Pattinson earned a newfound respect earlier this year when he collaborated with Cronenberg on the cryptic drama "Cosmopolis" and received a degree of praise from critics.
"Robert Pattinson really can act," concluded Peter Travers of RollingStone.
"Nearly affectless at first, Mr. Pattinson makes a fine member of the Cronenbergian walking dead," Manohla Dargis of the New York Times said, "with a glacial, blank beauty that brings to mind Deborah Kara Unger in the director’s version of J.G. Ballard's 'Crash.'"
Though it's unclear whether his newfound respect as an actor will carry over to his upcoming roles but it's unlikely that Pattinson's star will fade anytime soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone