Will Robert Pattinson Have A Career After 'Twilight'?
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 20, 2012 8:45 AM EST
With the blockbuster "Twilight" franchise now behind him, the fate of Robert Pattinson's career remains to be seen. Yet based on the list of projects that the actor has in the works, it's clear filmgoers can expect to see plenty more of the 26-year-old.
Pattinson is attached to star in six upcoming films and though none of them are likely to break box office records, they all have highly acclaimed directors and actors attached.
The heartthrob will soon head to Australia to film "The Rover," a futuristic western, alongside Guy Pearce and Scott McNairy.
"It's one of my top five favorite scripts that I've read since I started doing this," Pattinson told MTV of the film, which is set to be directed by David Michod. "It's the type of part I was afraid I wouldn't get after being in a franchise."
Pattinson will also star in "Mission Blacklist," based on the true story of the capture and execution of Saddam Hussein; Werner Herzog’s next project “Queen of the Desert," alongside Naomi Watts and Jude Law; and “Hold On to Me” opposite Carey Mulligan.
Earlier this month, it was reported that Pattinson will re-team with David Cronenberg for "Map to the Stars," starring Viggo Mortensen and Rachel Weisz. The film, which is reportedly a comment on celebrity obsession and Hollywood excess, is set to begin filming in May.
So far, most of Pattinson's non-"Twilight" projects have received relatively lukewarm responses. His performance in the 2010 romantic drama "Remember Me" as well as last year's "Water for Elephants" received mixed responses from critics and were only mildly successful at the box office.
Yet Pattinson earned a newfound respect earlier this year when he collaborated with Cronenberg on the cryptic drama "Cosmopolis" and received a degree of praise from critics.
"Robert Pattinson really can act," concluded Peter Travers of RollingStone.
"Nearly affectless at first, Mr. Pattinson makes a fine member of the Cronenbergian walking dead," Manohla Dargis of the New York Times said, "with a glacial, blank beauty that brings to mind Deborah Kara Unger in the director’s version of J.G. Ballard's 'Crash.'"
Though it's unclear whether his newfound respect as an actor will carry over to his upcoming roles but it's unlikely that Pattinson's star will fade anytime soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones