Farc Pledges Ceasefire During Peace Talks With Colombian Government
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 20, 2012 8:30 AM EST
Columbia’s Farc left-wing rebel group announced Monday -- during peace talks in Havana, Cuba -- with the Bogota government that it will cease hostilities with the military for two months.
Farc's lead negotiator Ivan Marquez described the ceasefire as “a contribution made to strengthen the climate of understanding necessary so that the parties that are starting the dialogue achieve the purpose desired by all Colombians,” the BBC reported.
The Colombian government has not agreed to observe the unilateral ceasefire -- expected to begin at midnight and last until Jan. 20 -- and has previously stated that it would not consider a truce until after a final agreement has been reached.
Bogota is concerned that the ceasefire is a move by Farc to give it more time to regroup and gather its strength.
The government has demanded that the rebels lay down their arms, which has remained a sticking point in the negotiations that began last month in Oslo with the aim of ending over five decades of conflict between the two sides.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015