Ice Lady Murders: Ice Cream Parlour Owner Accused of Chopping up Husband and Lover and Burying them in Cellar
By Umberto Bacchi | November 20, 2012 5:50 AM EST
A woman accused of killing her husband and lover, chopping their bodies into pieces and burying them in concrete in her ice cream shop cellar has gone on trial.
Dubbed by Austrian media as the "Ice Lady", Goidsargi Estibaliz Carranza Zabala, 32, allegedly shot her husband, Holger Holz, twice in the back of the head in an when she revealed that she had a lover.
She then cut his body into pieces with a chainsaw and sealed it in concrete under her Schleckeria shop in Vienna, the court was told.
Two years later, in 2010, she discovered that her lover, Manfred Hinterberger, was involved with another woman.
Carranza allegedly shot Hinterberger four times in the head with a 22-calibre Beretta pistol while he slept, sliced up his body and buried the parts in concrete next to the remains of her husband.
She then booked an "urgent manicure appointment" to repair her nails damaged by the labour, the charge sheet read.
In June 2011 construction workers installing pipes in the building discovered the gruesome remains.
Carranza, then pregnant by a third man whom she later married, fled to Italy in a cab. After a few days on the run, she was arrested and extradited to Austria by Italian authorities.
Her child, who was born in January 2012, was taken from her by social services.
"This woman has two faces. She will try to play here the part of someone well-behaved, who would never do something like this. My task is to show you her other side - that she is a singularly cold-blooded and unscrupulous killer. Do not be fooled," prosecutor Petra Freh told the court in Vienna.
"The defence will argue for a sentence which corresponds to her crime and we don't want the jurors to base their verdict on the public image of an ice cold, insensitive and cold-blooded woman capable of anything. Rather, they should realise what lies behind this facade and then reach a verdict which takes into consideration the diminished criminal responsibility," defence lawyer Rudolf Mayer said before the trial started.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Only Good At Making Babies--- Report
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM