Girl Who Slept For 64 Days: Nicole Delien Has Kleine-Levin 'Sleeping Beauty' Syndrome
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 20, 2012 4:54 AM EST
It's not uncommon for Nicole Delien, a Pennsylvania teenager who has a disorder called Kleine-Levine, to sleep for 18 or 19 hours at a time. But her illness, sometimes called "Sleeping Beauty Syndrome," caused her to sleep for 64 days straight through Thanksgiving and Christmas.
"She's never really adjusted to it," Delien’s mother, Vicki Delien, told the Chartiers Valley Patch. "She's 17 now and it really upsets her. She's missed out on a lot."
According to The Daily Mail, Delien frequently falls under sleep spells and wakes up in a confused state while sleepwalking. Her mother said she typically sleeps 18 to 19 hours a day, wakes up to eat in a "sleepwalking state which she doesn’t remember."
The Delien family, who appeared on Jeff Probst’s syndicated talk show this week, said it took 25 months before Nicole was diagnosed with Kleine-Levin syndrome. Doctors first thought Delien had West Nile virus before discovering her rare sleeping disorder.
Eventually, Delien was diagnosed with Kleine-Levin syndrome at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
According to the Kleine-Levin Syndrome Foundation website, "affected individuals may go for a period of weeks, months or even years without experiencing any symptoms, and then they reappear with little warning."
"When awake, the patient’s whole demeanor is changed, often appearing “spacey” or childlike. When awake he experiences confusion, disorientation, complete lack of energy (lethargy), and lack of emotions (apathy)."
The condition normally affects males and the cause is unknown.
According to Delien's family, medications have helped spread her sleeping episodes apart. But she has slept anywhere from 32 to 64 days in a row, one time just before Thanksgiving and didn't wake up until well after Christmas. Nicole Delien said she also her family's first trip to Disney World and an opportunity to meet Katy Perry. However, when Perry was notified of Delien's disorder, she arranged for the girl to meet her backstage during a performance in Connecticut.
Delien said she hasn't had a sleeping incident stemmed from the disorder since March but is scared for the next episode.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch