2012 American Music Awards End With Special Performance: Psy And MC Hammer Go 'Gangnam Style' [VIDEO]
By Amethyst Tate | November 20, 2012 3:32 AM EST
MC Hammer joined Korean pop star Psy for a special performance of “Gangnam Style” to close out the American Music Awards on Sunday night.
Dressed in all black, Psy even wore Hammer pants for the occasion, and MC Hammer, in all white, went on stage halfway through the song to the delight of the audience.
MC Hammer is one of many notable artists who have joined the “Gangnam Style” craze.
During her concert at Madison Square Garden in New York, Madonna brought out special guest Psy, and danced with him for a mashup version of his hit song, “Gangnam Style,” mashing it with her hit "Give it To Me."
The Korean sensation's "Gangnam Style" music video went viral after being posted on YouTube in July, with more than 130 million views from 220 countries around the world in less than two months, according to the Korean Herald.
In the U.S., the single recently broke into ITune's Chart Top 20, and Psy performed the dance on MTV's VMA Awards and at the MTV Europe Music Awards.
Psy, whose real name is Jason Park, said he still has no idea how his song has taken the world by storm, in an interview with Ryan Seacrest. He has been singing in South Korea for 12 years and is a massive star there, but calls himself a "rookie" when it comes to fame in America.
Psy has definitely been noticed by celebrities in the states. LMFAO remixed his mega-hit, and actress Milla Jovovich recently showed off her dance moves to the song. Artist T-Pain tweeted, "GANGNAM STYLE live looks pretty much like to most fun thing ever!" Everyone from Heidi Klum to Britney Spears has tried to learn the moves of the South Korean sensation.
Madonna-fan Britney Spears admitted in September that she wanted to learn Psy’s moves.
"I am LOVING this video -- so fun! Thinking that I should possibly learn the choreography. Anybody wanna teach me?! Haha" she wrote on her Twitter.
Ellen DeGeneres made it happen, surprising Spears by bringing Psy out to show. DeGeneres encouraged Spears to remove her four-inch heels before trying the moves; however, Psy told her to keep the shoes on, saying, the spirit of the dance is to "dress classy and dance cheesy."
Check out the special performance by Psy and MC Hammer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0