2012 American Music Awards End With Special Performance: Psy And MC Hammer Go 'Gangnam Style' [VIDEO]
By Amethyst Tate | November 20, 2012 3:32 AM EST
MC Hammer joined Korean pop star Psy for a special performance of “Gangnam Style” to close out the American Music Awards on Sunday night.
Dressed in all black, Psy even wore Hammer pants for the occasion, and MC Hammer, in all white, went on stage halfway through the song to the delight of the audience.
MC Hammer is one of many notable artists who have joined the “Gangnam Style” craze.
During her concert at Madison Square Garden in New York, Madonna brought out special guest Psy, and danced with him for a mashup version of his hit song, “Gangnam Style,” mashing it with her hit "Give it To Me."
The Korean sensation's "Gangnam Style" music video went viral after being posted on YouTube in July, with more than 130 million views from 220 countries around the world in less than two months, according to the Korean Herald.
In the U.S., the single recently broke into ITune's Chart Top 20, and Psy performed the dance on MTV's VMA Awards and at the MTV Europe Music Awards.
Psy, whose real name is Jason Park, said he still has no idea how his song has taken the world by storm, in an interview with Ryan Seacrest. He has been singing in South Korea for 12 years and is a massive star there, but calls himself a "rookie" when it comes to fame in America.
Psy has definitely been noticed by celebrities in the states. LMFAO remixed his mega-hit, and actress Milla Jovovich recently showed off her dance moves to the song. Artist T-Pain tweeted, "GANGNAM STYLE live looks pretty much like to most fun thing ever!" Everyone from Heidi Klum to Britney Spears has tried to learn the moves of the South Korean sensation.
Madonna-fan Britney Spears admitted in September that she wanted to learn Psy’s moves.
"I am LOVING this video -- so fun! Thinking that I should possibly learn the choreography. Anybody wanna teach me?! Haha" she wrote on her Twitter.
Ellen DeGeneres made it happen, surprising Spears by bringing Psy out to show. DeGeneres encouraged Spears to remove her four-inch heels before trying the moves; however, Psy told her to keep the shoes on, saying, the spirit of the dance is to "dress classy and dance cheesy."
Check out the special performance by Psy and MC Hammer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy