2012 American Music Awards End With Special Performance: Psy And MC Hammer Go 'Gangnam Style' [VIDEO]
By Amethyst Tate | November 20, 2012 3:32 AM EST
MC Hammer joined Korean pop star Psy for a special performance of “Gangnam Style” to close out the American Music Awards on Sunday night.
Dressed in all black, Psy even wore Hammer pants for the occasion, and MC Hammer, in all white, went on stage halfway through the song to the delight of the audience.
MC Hammer is one of many notable artists who have joined the “Gangnam Style” craze.
During her concert at Madison Square Garden in New York, Madonna brought out special guest Psy, and danced with him for a mashup version of his hit song, “Gangnam Style,” mashing it with her hit "Give it To Me."
The Korean sensation's "Gangnam Style" music video went viral after being posted on YouTube in July, with more than 130 million views from 220 countries around the world in less than two months, according to the Korean Herald.
In the U.S., the single recently broke into ITune's Chart Top 20, and Psy performed the dance on MTV's VMA Awards and at the MTV Europe Music Awards.
Psy, whose real name is Jason Park, said he still has no idea how his song has taken the world by storm, in an interview with Ryan Seacrest. He has been singing in South Korea for 12 years and is a massive star there, but calls himself a "rookie" when it comes to fame in America.
Psy has definitely been noticed by celebrities in the states. LMFAO remixed his mega-hit, and actress Milla Jovovich recently showed off her dance moves to the song. Artist T-Pain tweeted, "GANGNAM STYLE live looks pretty much like to most fun thing ever!" Everyone from Heidi Klum to Britney Spears has tried to learn the moves of the South Korean sensation.
Madonna-fan Britney Spears admitted in September that she wanted to learn Psy’s moves.
"I am LOVING this video -- so fun! Thinking that I should possibly learn the choreography. Anybody wanna teach me?! Haha" she wrote on her Twitter.
Ellen DeGeneres made it happen, surprising Spears by bringing Psy out to show. DeGeneres encouraged Spears to remove her four-inch heels before trying the moves; however, Psy told her to keep the shoes on, saying, the spirit of the dance is to "dress classy and dance cheesy."
Check out the special performance by Psy and MC Hammer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best