Young British Millenials Not Bothered About Economic Crisis
By Shane Croucher | November 20, 2012 1:47 AM EST
Only 12 percent of nine to 14-year-olds in Britain think the global economic crisis is important, according to a new study of the so-called "Millennial" generation, with just over a fifth not caring if it ever improves.
However, the older half of the country's Millennial group, aged from 15 to 30, rank the global economic crisis as the most significant event affecting their lives and are pessimistic about the future because of it, reported entertainment business Viacom in its study The Next Normal: An Unprecedented Look at Millennials Worldwide.
Young people in Britain face a difficult future as they bear the brunt of government austerity to reduce the deficit in public finances, after a boom in fiscal spending before the financial crisis unsettled the global economy.
Official data shows that there are almost a million 16-to-24 year-olds not in education, employment or training in the UK.
This has fed into the fears of the Millennials, with 51 percent of the 900 UK respondents to the Viacom survey saying they spend time worrying about finding a job.
Viacom's study surveyed Millennials across the planet, with job security outweighing world hunger as their number one concern, at 49 percent saying they fear the employment situation will only get worse the world over.
Pessimism is also rife over earnings, with just 25 percent saying they think they will earn more than their parents - down from 38 percent before the financial crisis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft