Young British Millenials Not Bothered About Economic Crisis
By Shane Croucher | November 20, 2012 1:47 AM EST
Only 12 percent of nine to 14-year-olds in Britain think the global economic crisis is important, according to a new study of the so-called "Millennial" generation, with just over a fifth not caring if it ever improves.
However, the older half of the country's Millennial group, aged from 15 to 30, rank the global economic crisis as the most significant event affecting their lives and are pessimistic about the future because of it, reported entertainment business Viacom in its study The Next Normal: An Unprecedented Look at Millennials Worldwide.
Young people in Britain face a difficult future as they bear the brunt of government austerity to reduce the deficit in public finances, after a boom in fiscal spending before the financial crisis unsettled the global economy.
Official data shows that there are almost a million 16-to-24 year-olds not in education, employment or training in the UK.
This has fed into the fears of the Millennials, with 51 percent of the 900 UK respondents to the Viacom survey saying they spend time worrying about finding a job.
Viacom's study surveyed Millennials across the planet, with job security outweighing world hunger as their number one concern, at 49 percent saying they fear the employment situation will only get worse the world over.
Pessimism is also rife over earnings, with just 25 percent saying they think they will earn more than their parents - down from 38 percent before the financial crisis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- End of Times Signs: 3 Aviation Accidents in 1 Wk, 500 Total Deaths; Air Algerie AH5017 Latest
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales