Young British Millenials Not Bothered About Economic Crisis
By Shane Croucher | November 20, 2012 1:47 AM EST
Only 12 percent of nine to 14-year-olds in Britain think the global economic crisis is important, according to a new study of the so-called "Millennial" generation, with just over a fifth not caring if it ever improves.
However, the older half of the country's Millennial group, aged from 15 to 30, rank the global economic crisis as the most significant event affecting their lives and are pessimistic about the future because of it, reported entertainment business Viacom in its study The Next Normal: An Unprecedented Look at Millennials Worldwide.
Young people in Britain face a difficult future as they bear the brunt of government austerity to reduce the deficit in public finances, after a boom in fiscal spending before the financial crisis unsettled the global economy.
Official data shows that there are almost a million 16-to-24 year-olds not in education, employment or training in the UK.
This has fed into the fears of the Millennials, with 51 percent of the 900 UK respondents to the Viacom survey saying they spend time worrying about finding a job.
Viacom's study surveyed Millennials across the planet, with job security outweighing world hunger as their number one concern, at 49 percent saying they fear the employment situation will only get worse the world over.
Pessimism is also rife over earnings, with just 25 percent saying they think they will earn more than their parents - down from 38 percent before the financial crisis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]