Kent Council Faces Flak for Dog Mess DNA Scheme
By Dominic Gover | November 20, 2012 12:48 AM EST
A tiny council's plan to combat the problem of dog mess in public spaces has sparked accusations of creeping 'big brother' tactics.
Sundridge with Ide Hill Parish Council wants to use cutting edge technology to run DNA tests on dog dirt lying in the sleepy town.
If the tests matched the faeces to a specific dog, the owner could face legal action, as British dog owners are required by law to clean up their animals' mess.
The scheme, which is unprecedented in the UK, proved popular at a recent meeting of the council, whose seven members agreed the problem is now so bad that drastic action is required.
However the scheme met opposition locally from residents. One woman, Anna West, said: "It just seems bizarre to me. It's big brother gone mad, really."
Furthermore, the councillors would have to pay for the dog mess analysis themselves, not Sevenoaks DIstrict Council - where the villages of Sundridge and Ide Hill are located - or the top tier authority, Kent County Council.
DNA tests by other government agencies cost up to £252 each.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- At What Age Do Boys And Girls Look Best To Each Other?
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date