Kent Council Faces Flak for Dog Mess DNA Scheme
By Dominic Gover | November 20, 2012 12:48 AM EST
A tiny council's plan to combat the problem of dog mess in public spaces has sparked accusations of creeping 'big brother' tactics.
Sundridge with Ide Hill Parish Council wants to use cutting edge technology to run DNA tests on dog dirt lying in the sleepy town.
If the tests matched the faeces to a specific dog, the owner could face legal action, as British dog owners are required by law to clean up their animals' mess.
The scheme, which is unprecedented in the UK, proved popular at a recent meeting of the council, whose seven members agreed the problem is now so bad that drastic action is required.
However the scheme met opposition locally from residents. One woman, Anna West, said: "It just seems bizarre to me. It's big brother gone mad, really."
Furthermore, the councillors would have to pay for the dog mess analysis themselves, not Sevenoaks DIstrict Council - where the villages of Sundridge and Ide Hill are located - or the top tier authority, Kent County Council.
DNA tests by other government agencies cost up to £252 each.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate