Kent Council Faces Flak for Dog Mess DNA Scheme
By Dominic Gover | November 20, 2012 12:48 AM EST
A tiny council's plan to combat the problem of dog mess in public spaces has sparked accusations of creeping 'big brother' tactics.
Sundridge with Ide Hill Parish Council wants to use cutting edge technology to run DNA tests on dog dirt lying in the sleepy town.
If the tests matched the faeces to a specific dog, the owner could face legal action, as British dog owners are required by law to clean up their animals' mess.
The scheme, which is unprecedented in the UK, proved popular at a recent meeting of the council, whose seven members agreed the problem is now so bad that drastic action is required.
However the scheme met opposition locally from residents. One woman, Anna West, said: "It just seems bizarre to me. It's big brother gone mad, really."
Furthermore, the councillors would have to pay for the dog mess analysis themselves, not Sevenoaks DIstrict Council - where the villages of Sundridge and Ide Hill are located - or the top tier authority, Kent County Council.
DNA tests by other government agencies cost up to £252 each.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton Makes First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar