United and Chelsea Monitoring Progress Of €8m Brazilian Superkid – Report
By Vanessa Keller | November 20, 2012 12:22 AM EST
Manchester United and Chelsea are said to be amongst a host of clubs monitoring the progress of Brazilian teenager Bruno Mendes, with the youngster starring in his home country despite facing controversy off the pitch.
Mendes is currently going through issues over who owns his naming rights, with third party ownership more prevalent in South American leagues than throughout Europe.
But on the pitch he looks to be unaffected by any issues surrounding his contract with Brazilian side Botafogo, scoring at the weekend as they won 3-0 over Portugesa to take his tally to 6 goals in the last seven he's featured in.
As a result of his stunning performances, United and Chelsea have both been alerted, with Juventus and AC Milan also believed to be following his progress, Calciomercato reports.
At just 18 years of age, his €8 million price tag would be a steal if Mendes is to realise his potential in England, and while United currently have a plethora of strikers available, Sir Alex Ferguson is always looking to the future and may consider the youngster an integral part of his next generation of stars.
Chelsea, meanwhile, are well known for dipping into the Brazilian market, and with the club believed to have completed a deal for young defender Wallace to move from Brazilian side Fluminense next summer.
With Daniel Sturridge continuing to disappoint for the Blues, and Fernando Torres also coming up short on multiple occasions this season, the side will be no doubt looking to build with both experienced and up and coming goalscorers in both January and the next summer transfer window.
And as Mendes was included in the Brazil Under 20 side, which has included the likes of Oscar and David Luiz, Chelsea could pull ahead of United in the race to sign the teen, with his national teammates on hand to help him settle into life at Stamford Bridge.
But competition from the Italian sides will also be rife, with Juventus in particular looking to bolster their squad into the realm of being European champions again.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices